Build thread: Vinyl in-ground, 18x40, Fastlane, Autocover.

OK! I revised the thread title (is that OK?) and will update it as we go along. This is officially my build thread! Thanks, Kim!

So here's an old thread where you can see some yard pictures from the fall.

Here's the current plan for the poolhouse. The site plan is on p. 1 of this thread.

IMG_6119.jpg

We had to demo the existing patio and remove the Ginko tree. The pool house has been underway for the last two weeks --- they needed to get the footings in before they started the pool. The pool was supposed to begin in two weeks, but they told us yesterday they wanted to get started! So we said OK.

Then we had an unexpected snow day today (freezing rain...didn't actually make the streets slippery and was over by 10:30am). So I worked from home with the kids while demo began.

Here's a picture I took before they started demo. Had to do a bit of a logic game to figure out the breaker for those outdoor lights in the brick wall!

IMG_6107.jpg

Now they're destroying stuff.

IMG_6111.jpg

This was somewhat more traumatic than I expected. I thought I was tough! There's just something upsetting about seeing your space torn up, even if you desperately want to change the space! The patio was REALLY solid, as it turned out.

That's the foundation for the pool house in the distance.

The patio is all cleared out now except for the stairs into the house....I need to ask them about those tomorrow because they're being replaced.

Here we go! There's orange spraypaint on the mud out there now where they're going to dig tomorrow.

2/18 -- pool house starts
2/28 -- demo for pool
3/1 -- digging for pool

I guess it's time to order my TF-100 bundle!

Thanks for the feedback. The SRSmith site helps a lot! Another question, @BMK -- Is it worth it to get the bronze anchors, or are the plastic OK? I figure I need to buy this thing and have it on site before my contractor puts in the sleeves.

I figure for the price difference (about $65 - $70 total), going with the bronze anchors is a no brainer. Probably one of the least expensive upgrades you can do.

And as long as I'm spending your money.....you know, if you put one more anchor in directly across the pool opposite the hoop, you'll be all set to pop in a volleyball net whenever the mood strikes. Just pull out the hoop and pop in the net. EZ PZ.

Reactions: bmoreswim
Is there a light in/by the outdoor shower/changing room? Or will enough light bleed into that area from exterior house lighting.

Is there a light in/by the outdoor shower/changing room? Or will enough light bleed into that area from exterior house lighting.
Good question! We thought about this and decided it would get left on and attract bugs and be gross. There will be light bleeding over from the patio/indoors, and it's unlikely that I'll need to use it in darkness. If I do, I decided I would bring a flashlight or use my phone flashlight. I guess I could put one in and set it on a timer.... I'm going to think about this. Also, a camp lantern would work if we had a party that I thought would go late....

Other thoughts? They're digging this morning and it's getting REAL. This feels like either my best idea or my worst idea ever.

I totally understand the trauma of having your yard dug up, husband and I had spent about 3 months building a beautiful patio that we had to pull up ourselves in a matter of 30 minutes before they came to dig. It was a sad moment. You’ll have a lot of days where you wonder what you’ve let yourself in for in the coming weeks, but it’s worth it in the end, I promise!

I totally understand the trauma of having your yard dug up, husband and I had spent about 3 months building a beautiful patio that we had to pull up ourselves in a matter of 30 minutes before they came to dig. It was a sad moment. You’ll have a lot of days where you wonder what you’ve let yourself in for in the coming weeks, but it’s worth it in the end, I promise!
Thank you, poolbella! I watched your build from the beginning and loved it! I really wasn't prepared for the emotional toll. I feel like my stress hormones are through the roof! Which just feels stupid. I'm trying to be extra nice to my husband, because this pool is totally my baby. Last night he called me at work to report that there was water leaking into the basement! We panicked, thinking the demo had done it somehow, but now we think it was a hose bib going bad. (It was nowhere near the demo.) Our (poolhouse) contractor is on it, and it's all going to be fine....

I figure for the price difference (about $65 - $70 total), going with the bronze anchors is a no brainer. Probably one of the least expensive upgrades you can do.

And as long as I'm spending your money.....you know, if you put one more anchor in directly across the pool opposite the hoop, you'll be all set to pop in a volleyball net whenever the mood strikes. Just pull out the hoop and pop in the net. EZ PZ.

1. I'll see about the bronze. Thanks!
2. My pool house contractor is doing my concrete. So I was confused about who would do the sleeves/bonding required with the pool. (Thanks for that bonding tip!). I just talked to the PB and she said to send a text to the team adding the BBall jigs and I told them to go ahead and do a jig on the other side for Volleyball net potential. Anything to keep those kids outdoors! @BMK how easy is it to move the bball goal in and out?

I just talked to the PB and she said to send a text to the team adding the BBall jigs and I told them to go ahead and do a jig on the other side for Volleyball net potential. Anything to keep those kids outdoors! @BMK how easy is it to move the bball goal in and out?

Very easy. At most you may have a little wedge thingy at the base to loosen with a screwdriver. Then just pull it out. Some of the sleeves dont even use a wedge, so you simply just pull the bball hoop out and slide it back in. 1person can do it, but they are a bit heavy and awkward so I recommend 2 people if possible.

Getting back to your shower area. Have you considered an outdoor rated motion light. I have one at my equipment pad. It comes on when you enter, the good ones (about $35) are super bright, it stays on for as long as you're there, and shuts itself off when you're done. They're battery operated so no electric run is needed. Best of all worlds.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Very easy. At most you may have a little wedge thingy at the base to loosen with a screwdriver. Then just pull it out. Some of the sleeves dont even use a wedge, so you simply just pull the bball hoop out and slide it back in. 1person can do it, but they are a bit heavy and awkward so I recommend 2 people if possible.

Getting back to your shower area. Have you considered an outdoor rated motion light. I have one at my equipment pad. It comes on when you enter, the good ones (about $35) are super bright, it stays on for as long as you're there, and shuts itself off when you're done. They're battery operated so no electric run is needed. Best of all worlds.

Thanks!

Thank you, poolbella! I watched your build from the beginning and loved it! I really wasn't prepared for the emotional toll. I feel like my stress hormones are through the roof! Which just feels stupid. I'm trying to be extra nice to my husband, because this pool is totally my baby. Last night he called me at work to report that there was water leaking into the basement! We panicked, thinking the demo had done it somehow, but now we think it was a hose bib going bad. (It was nowhere near the demo.) Our (poolhouse) contractor is on it, and it's all going to be fine....

I also handled almost the entire build of our pool, from the initial meetings right through to handling all the maintenance. The whole thing started out as him indulging me after I was quite sick, but once we realized it was something we could actually do, he let me run with it. But that also means I feel all the burden when there might be something wrong!

Reactions: lazygirl1978
What a different a few days makes! Tons of progress.

Hit a little problem when they figured out that the autocover housing can't be right up against the deep end wall, where the Fastlane is installed. I think the workaround is going to be fine --- the Automatic Pool Covers people fabricated a cap that will match the cover lid to cover up the gap. You can see it on the deep end side of the pool in pic below.

IMG_6191.jpg

(I took that picture to ask a question about the ladder (we're not going to install it just yet) and texted it to the 13-person pool building team (it may include the owner). About 30 minutes later, the big messy pile of stuff was gone! I think someone must have said "clean up, people!" These guys have been working really, really hard in super cold weather. The mess hadn't bothered me.

Anyway, after the initial panic about the Fastlane placement (I had my reasons for wanting it in the middle of the deep end and really didn't want to move it or the autocover), we've had just a few issues. The crew put the heater and filter on the pad a couple days before my contractor wanted them to. It's all fine, but I get why he was mad.

IMG_6182.JPGIMG_6202.jpg

IMG_6208.jpg

My builder wishes the pad were bigger, but it's 10x5, and they said they'd only need 8x5! So hopefully it's OK. I think it's the Fastlane that is taking up more space than expected. It's not in there yet. Eesh.

One bad thing about their quick work: I missed my chance to photograph the plumbing in the ground! BUMMER.

The cap for the gap is supposed to arrive sometime tomorrow. Then the liner can go in. Then the water will go in. The poolhouse walls just started going up today, so hopefully electricity arrives pretty soon. I need to figure out the timing on that.

Do you have your test kit yet? If not NOW is the time to get it. You are going to have water soon!!!

:shock: with the equipment pad! I bet they end up adding some to it for the fastlane stuff!!! Bummer on no pipe pics! Get ready to label the pips and handles.

Kim:kim:

Do you have your test kit yet? If not NOW is the time to get it. You are going to have water soon!!!

:shock: with the equipment pad! I bet they end up adding some to it for the fastlane stuff!!! Bummer on no pipe pics! Get ready to label the pips and handles.

Ok so i started to order the test kit but couldn’t decide if I needed to buy the full package with wall whale brush and such. I will just go do it today!

Yes, great progress! Pool house and whole setup will be fantastic! It really takes me back to those days of our build where the whole feel of the space got defined.

Glad to hear they came up with a solution for the autocover/Fastlane placement. Does the liner then go up over the cap to the autocover housing?

Make sure the drain from the autocover actually does flow downhill. It looks like there is slope to your yard for that to happen. And that the drain ends in area that will not be prone to the end of that pipe getting clogged.

You want the speed stir (how did I do it so long without it???) You will love the whale brush. It makes brushing easier as it uses the force of the water to help you brush.

OMG! You finally came to the light!?! About darn time girl..... once you used one of those, well, twirling by hand just won't do!

Lazygirl, I'm undecided as to whether you need a wall whale brush or not, but you sure DO want a Speed Stir!!

Maddie :flower:

You want the speed stir (how did I do it so long without it???) You will love the whale brush. It makes brushing easier as it uses the force of the water to help you brush.

Thanks!

Yes, great progress! Pool house and whole setup will be fantastic! It really takes me back to those days of our build where the whole feel of the space got defined.

Glad to hear they came up with a solution for the autocover/Fastlane placement. Does the liner then go up over the cap to the autocover housing?

Make sure the drain from the autocover actually does flow downhill. It looks like there is slope to your yard for that to happen. And that the drain ends in area that will not be prone to the end of that pipe getting clogged.

Liner does not go over the cap --- the cover will pull back across it, though. Thanks for the tip on the autocover drainage! I just talked to my guy about it, and he'd said it'd drain into gravel and be OK he thought given the slope, then he mentioned there was some way to draw water off the bottom of the pool from BEHIND the liner? Anyway, that didn't sound good, so I told him I wanted an actual drain that went to the drainage area behind the pool house, and he was happy to do it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.