Bubbles out of jets, but no air in pump basket?

RecordOne

Jun 19, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’m getting bubbles coming out of my return jets, but I’m not seeing any air in the pump baskets (other than maybe on bubble just hanging out). I also see a lot of air through the window on a pressure-side valve. (See pictures below)

How is air getting into my system? It can’t be on the pressure side, but there’s no air in the pump basket. Can air be getting sucked into the pump somewhere else? There seems to be too many bubbles to be getting through the basket without me seeing them. Even when I slow the pump speed down I don’t see air in the basket, but the bubble still come out the jets.

Any thoughts? :)

D8FC2A2D-7A2C-403C-8EBD-5A67443A9925.jpeg3F75A89E-8379-4C1B-B2D7-604CF706CA3E.jpegD8EFA5BB-A5DD-4D14-9267-2FBCF69893D9.jpeg

Hey!! Welcome to TFP!! :swim:

Air is going to be suction side. You will get leaks (water) on the pressure side.

Could be shaft seal or volute seal, but if that is true, typically hard to prime also. Has the pump been turned off recently? Does the pump make noise?

Can you post some pictures that include all the equipment or several pics so we get the full picture.

Hey!! Welcome to TFP!! :swim:

Air is going to be suction side. You will get leaks (water) on the pressure side.

Could be shaft seal or volute seal, but if that is true, typically hard to prime also. Has the pump been turned off recently? Does the pump make noise?

Can you post some pictures that include all the equipment or several pics so we get the full picture.
Thanks for the quick reply! Yes it is having a hard time priming when the pump first turns on, but it doesn’t lose prime once it gets going.

It funny you mention the pump making a noise. I actually have noticed it sounding a little different than normal. Hard to describe, but just sounds a little off.

Is the shaft seal or volute seal something I’d be able to replace?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes it is having a hard time priming when the pump first turns on, but it doesn’t lose prime once it gets going.

It funny you mention the pump making a noise. I actually have noticed it sounding a little different than normal. Hard to describe, but just sounds a little off.

Is the shaft seal or volute seal something I’d be able to replace?

Thanks again!
Yes it is easy. What is the make and model of the pump?

It’s a Pentair intelliflo VSF (356903.A)
Search google for "Pentair intelliflo VSF go kit." This is a kit that includes all the o-rings and seals you need, including the shaft seal. The kit is cheaper than putting the kit together yourself.

It will include the shaft seal, but there are different levels of quality:
1669394510414.png
1669394476015.png

The go kits typically include the ps-1000, they are servicable, but I've had problems with both the basic service and premier. If you can afford, it, buy the PS-1905 in addition to the one that comes in the go-kit and keep the go-kit shaft seal as a spare. It is pricey, but they last longer.

Here is a good place to get them and good price -->
Finally, here are the instructions, straight from Pentair on how to replace the shaft seal. Go!

Reactions: DavidArmenB
Hi, just curious if this fixed your problem. I too seem to have the same thing happening in my new pool and the builder can’t seem to figure it out.
Yes! It was a little intimidating at first to start taking apart the pump, but it ended up being pretty easy and straight forward. But yes, the repair did the trick. Once I replaced all the internal seals, no more bubbles.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FWIW, the shaft seal is on the pressure side of the pump so if that starts to leak, water would leak out and not air in. When there is an air leak, the usual suspects are the pump lid and suction side drain plug gasket. Those are on the suction side of the pump. Suction side valves can also be a source of air leaks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.