Brown water/ need help

captjohn

LifeTime Supporter
Not new to pools and have well water. I have a leak so make up water is added 3 times a week. Leak was worse but I repaired 1 jet 4 mos ago.
Did a stain treatment 4 mos ago and was using Metal out (12 qts over 4 months) and all was good. Ran out and didn't restock (I've had mixed results with sequestrants over the years)
Had some staining recently so did another citric acid treatment but didn't use polyquat. Pool was beautiful and kept FC at min for 8 days. Started raising FC due to a little cloudiness. Wasn't clearing after 4 days and had some algae spots so slowly raised to slam (2 days) FC 12/14ppm @30 cya. After 3rd day stain returned (wasn't surprised). Today, 4th day water is brown, which is new to me and very stained. I know..... should've waited for cooler weather but wife insisted.
I have Iron and Copper test strips and never see iron over .3 and copper 0 to .3 with or without sequestrant.
Haven't done a OCLT yet.
The pic looks kind of green due to flash but it's brown in the daylight.
PH 7.2
FC 12
CC .5
TA 70
Ch 120
CYA 30
Iron .3
Copper 0-.3

Ideas?
PS:won't be around till tomorrow afternoon.

Attachments

• 20181001_204512.jpg
    20181001_204512.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 100
Please take a few pics (close up and at a distance) to document your work for others. It would be very helpful.

Maddie :flower:

I built a polyfill filter yesterday afternoon. Had a piece of cheap 3/4" bilge pump hose, bucket and pvc on hand. I used a 3/4" male thread x 1/2" slip and a 3/4" female threaded fitting. The hose fit into one of my return jets very tight with 2 wraps of electrical tape on the pool end. The other end fit snugly in the 1/2" slip end on the pvc fitting. I wrapped the hose inserted in the pvc with tape to keep it from blowing off. I drilled a 1" hole in the bottom edge of bucket and threaded the 3/4" male threaded end into the bucket (hose on the other slip end). I used a piece of 1" pvc pipe 1/2" long as a spacer on the threaded end inside the bucket so I could easily screw and tighten the 3/4" female on the male inside the bucket. (a conduit nut would do the same thing). This kept the fitting from blowing out of the bucket. Drilled 3/8" holes in the top of the bucket lid and stuffed with polyfill. ($9 at WalMart with plenty left over) I wrapped the bucket lid with clear packaging tape to reduce leaks and keep it closed. Actually took only 30 min to build.
Now.....my results are skewed. I need my pool this weekend so time is limited. Ran poly filter 4 hrs and saw no change so I added 2# of citric acid because the pool looked like a mud hole. Main filter is on recirculate so only poly filter is on line running 24/7. Pool is greatly improved this morning! Drained and opened the poly filter expecting to see coffee color poly but snow white! :scratch: Still have some staining and leaving filter on recirculate today and still using poly filter.
So.....I guess the citric did something to the oxidized iron in the water? Was the terrible staining making the water look brown and the citric reduced the stain improving the "look" of the water?
20181003_092110.jpg
20181003_092751.jpg
20181003_092642.jpg
20181003_092703.jpg

There is some incomplete information but I believe your pool was never SLAMmed properly and you had algae.

The appearance and quick disappearance doesn't seem like the way iron behaves and it is certainly not like copper staining we have seen on the forum.

If that was in fact copper, the citric acid may only be a temporary fix. Between copper and iron your pool has it all, huh?

What are your current test results? Is your FC up to normal levels?

Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains
Maddie :flower:

This mornings readings:
PH 7.2
FC 6.5
CC .5
TA 60
CH 100
CYA 25
Iron .3
Copper 0
This metal issue is a PITA and I know it's not just me!
I take the test strips with a grain of salt but I tested when the pool was brown and Iron was still .3 and Copper 0.
What confuses me is the use of sequestrant and inability to test it. I don't see a difference in iron #'s with or with out sequestrant.
Trying to research how to REMOVE minerals with varying methods but no decision yet.

Switched from recirculate to filter yesterday and pool is improving.
:drown:

Copper 020181004_100527.jpg
20181004_100706.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.