Brown stains caused by liquid chlorine?

camfamva

Oct 5, 2015
League City, TX
I've owned the pool (and house) for almost 6 years. When I first moved in the pool plaster was white with no stains. After about a year I switched from chlorine tablets to liquid chlorine (bought at Wal Mart.) Slowly but steadily I've developed brown stains that I tried using the ascorbic acid to lift but no luck. I tried rubbing a chlorine puck on the stain but it doesn't lift it. The pool was 10 years old when I moved in the house so I don't think its coming in with the water or it would have already been stained. Could the liquid chlorine be causing the staining?

Attachments

djdonte

Mar 25, 2019
Houston, TX
Chlorine really shouldn't do that unless you are using a household splashless bleach with additives maybe. I think you might be due for a plaster job. 16 years is about right. My pool looks similar, although not nearly as bad. The "stained" areas in my pool are rough to the touch. Until there is significant failure, or gunite showing, at least in my case, I feel it is mostly cosmetic on my end. My only issue is algae likes to favor these areas, and they are tough to get with a nylon brush. I have to use a stainless brush which I am sure is wearing it further. I only use HD bleach but have used the Walmart stuff before and noticed no effects. Post full test results and maybe someone can chime in with more ideas.

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
I don't think that it's gunite showing through. Maybe scale with some of the sandstone coping material integrated into the scale as it loses material.

Have you ever used silver algaecide?

camfamva

Oct 5, 2015
League City, TX
There are a few spots where the gunite is showing through but this is definitely not that. I haven't used the splashless bleach or silver algaecide. I'll post the water test results this weekend. I have noticed the sandstone coping is starting to chip easily.