Brown dust...do we know what it is?

Heatherly30

Sep 13, 2020
Louisville, Kentucky
I have searched these threads high and low. I have been SLAMMING and passed my OCLT, BUT I STILL HAVE BROWN DUST. I'm over it and don't know what else to do. It isn't much at all. I really have to search to find it, but it's always there. I vacuum and brush, but it's back within about an hour.

BUT THEN...

I was reading a post and someone mentioned it does not come back when their pump is turned off. So I have had it off for a little over an hour and nothing is appearing. Hallelujah! So is this an indication it's likely not algae? I have used socks in my skimmer. Should I try to attach one to the return jet?

Any ideas? I'm desperate! Again, it isn't very much at all, but since I have thought it is likely algae, I haven't let up on it at all.

it could be something that is small enough that your sand filter is just not catching... Have you tried to put a little DE in your filter, adding about a cup into your skimmer, stop when your filter raises 1 PSI... You have to watch your pressure gauge as it may climb fast catching more crud that the sand misses.. Once it raises 25% backwash and repeat the same process and it should get all that out.. :)

Sand is the easiest filter but it catches the least amount of all the filters...

well lets figure this out :)

what type of sand filter do you have and do you have a skimmer in the side of your pool?

This video will explain what I am talking about (this is for a normal DE filter so only use enough in your sand filter to raise your PSI 1 from where it is right now ie: 15 normal, stop at 16)

There is a very. very high percentage chance that it is simply dead algae accumulating on your pool floor. Pics might help a lot.

You will need to SLAM your pool properly to eradicate it but I would identify it first. Pics?

It’s a Hayward, but I don’t know much about the filter beyond that. We do have a skimmer. I do think it’s probably dead algae. I had to buy liquid chlorine from the pool store in town today because I can’t find any in my little town and it’s not safe to go into Louisville. They had 12.5% Chlorine. I’ve been using 10%. Usually I see brown dust after about an hour. So far I don’t see any! I’ll have to check again in the morning though of course. Attaching a pic. There is very, very little, but I want it gone before it’s time to close it!

Attachments

• E9750846-064A-47F8-87AA-AC1101E40665.jpeg
    E9750846-064A-47F8-87AA-AC1101E40665.jpeg
    194.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 23454715-D6F5-428C-8D1D-2B916E43BFF9.jpeg
    23454715-D6F5-428C-8D1D-2B916E43BFF9.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 73D19EB8-0D80-4A0C-8F52-B7EBDE60C05F.jpeg
    73D19EB8-0D80-4A0C-8F52-B7EBDE60C05F.jpeg
    436.8 KB · Views: 23
Do you meet the other criteria for stopping the SLAM?

Finishing the SLAM requires three things...
A. Pool water should be crystal clear with no sign of algae anywhere
B. CC's test result should be .5 ppm or less
C. You should not lose more than 1 ppm FC overnight.

Your sig shows "tested in store" You cannot SLAM the pool with store testing. Do you have one of the suggested kits?

Since creating my signature I have purchased a TF-100 kit and test multiple times per day since slamming. I will update my signature. I am passing my oclt and I have 0 CC. The water is crystal clear except for brown dust on the floor of the pool. The water has never been green since starting this process, only fine dust on the floor. I do suspect it is dead algae since I did have an algae issue weeks ago. Therefore I realize I may still have live algae since I continue to see brown. I’m just at a loss as to why I’m doing everything right and it isn’t going away. My only option to purchase chlorine now is at the pool store. I tried to be short with her but we had established a camaraderie prior to discovering tfp. She literally gave me product yesterday (floc). I want to get this over with so I don’t have to go back to the pool store, lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
it really sounds like your sand filter is channeled and just not filtering out the really small stuff... Have you tried the DE in your filter? If you do not have any that little pool store has a 25 pound bag I am sure and depending on the price of that 12.5% chlorine that may be a great place to get it... :)

The 12.5% only cost me about 95 cents more per gallon than the 10%. I was pretty happy with that. When I asked her for DE powder she looked at me like I had 3 heads. She thought the idea of adding DE to the sand filter was insane. So, I just dropped it. I didn't want to argue with her. So, I'm going to attempt to vacuum to waste today. I have leak in a shower faucet and can't get a plumber out here until next week, so I've already added 5 gallons to the pool from the water collected overnight. Fun times.

• Haha
Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.