Broken Drain Plug in Pump Basket

appstategrad

Jul 12, 2014
Hickory, NC
When trying to close the pool this afternoon, I couldn't get any air pressure to build up. In the process of checking everything to see what I was missing, I checked the drain plug to make sure it was tight, and it broke off half still in the threads (it is 6 years old and not pliable). I drilled a hole through the center but it got too dark for me to try anything else tonight. So now I have two problems... It's 2020 I should not have expected it to go well. 🤷‍♀️ I would appreciate any advice to get the other half of the drain plug out without damaging the threads. Thanks!

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
Heat up the tip of a flat screwdriver and push it into the center of the plastic. Hold it steady for about 30 seconds and then unscrew.

Reactions: appstategrad

appstategrad

Jul 12, 2014
Hickory, NC
Heat up the tip of a flat screwdriver and push it into the center of the plastic. Hold it steady for about 30 seconds and then unscrew.
Awesome thank you I'll try that tomorrow. I had thought about a hair dryer but didn't know if that would get hot enough. Thank you!

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
The tip of the screwdriver should melt into the plastic, which should give enough bite to be able to unscrew the remaining part of the plug.

Reactions: appstategrad
Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.