Bring up CYA or slam?

jetskierg

Jul 5, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
hi, just got back from vacation for 3 wks. Gf added chems while I was gone. I now see some stuff sticking to some of the sides and on steps/loveseat. I think its somewhere between faint yellow and faint greenish. I had her putting in MA and liquid chlorine while i was gone.
Test numbers this morning. I really don't want to have to SLAM. Do you think bringing up CYA, then raising FC and lowering PH/TA would do it? thx
FC-.5
CC-0
PH-OVER 8
TA-120
CH-550
CYA-LESS THAN 30
WATER IS 82 degrees.
We are expecting super hot temps this week. 115, 117 and 118 degree range.

Last edited:

woodyp

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
East Texas
Lower the ph first........raise cya to 30..........then SLAM for a couple days and you may get rid of a slight case. Super hot temps will let it get away from you quick if there is already some "growth".

Reactions: Tena and Mdragger88

jetskierg

Jul 5, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
After MA numbers are now ( FC was .5 instead of 1 last time. I did math wrong)
FC-.5
CC-.5
PH-OVER 8
I just added sock with recommended stabilizer. Do I start slam now too or wait until tomorrow to remeasure CYA and then begin slam? I'm worried not adding chlorine now because of the high heat. I will be slamming per mustard algae guidelines.

I reread your post and noticed "Lower the ph first........raise cya to 30..........then SLAM for a couple days and you may get rid of a slight case."
My ph is not lower yet. I added 31oz of MA (31%) as recommended and it stayed the same.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

jetskierg

Jul 5, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
New numbers.
FC-.5
CC-0
PH-7.4
TA-125
CH-525
CYA- still less than 30 but much better. can almost block out dot.
CSI-0.4
Temp is 85 degrees. Will it hurt if i leave sock in while i slam with tons of chlorine?

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Will it hurt if i leave sock in while i slam with tons of chlorine?
No. Start adding chlorine. Assume the CYA is 30 ppm. FC level of 12 ppm

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
No need to go above 12 ppm FC.

jetskierg

Jul 5, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Yeah. I put in recommended amount and that's how it came out. This morning FC-16 CC-.5
Can I run the baracuda to pick up loose algae? I brushed this morning and noticed some debris.

woodyp

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
East Texas
Yes you can...but I wouldn't LEAVE it in the pool. As for the over shoot on FC....maybe your pool isn't quite 20k.

jetskierg

Jul 5, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
yeah, i figured all that chlorine would do a number on the rubber/plastic parts. I've had 3 different estimates on the size. I think its probably closer to 19k.

jetskierg

Jul 5, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Last night FC-15 7am FC-12 CC-.5 We did have wind last night that blew some debris into the pool. Another 118 degrees expected today. I am concerned that it seems there is yellow dirt sticking to the sides that doesn't come off with brushing. Should I be using a metal brush? thx

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread