Bring up CYA or slam?

jetskierg

Jul 5, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
hi, just got back from vacation for 3 wks. Gf added chems while I was gone. I now see some stuff sticking to some of the sides and on steps/loveseat. I think its somewhere between faint yellow and faint greenish. I had her putting in MA and liquid chlorine while i was gone.
Test numbers this morning. I really don't want to have to SLAM. Do you think bringing up CYA, then raising FC and lowering PH/TA would do it? thx
FC-.5
CC-0
PH-OVER 8
TA-120
CH-550
CYA-LESS THAN 30
WATER IS 82 degrees.
We are expecting super hot temps this week. 115, 117 and 118 degree range.

Last edited:

woodyp

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
East Texas
Lower the ph first........raise cya to 30..........then SLAM for a couple days and you may get rid of a slight case. Super hot temps will let it get away from you quick if there is already some "growth".

Reactions: Tena and Mdragger88

jetskierg

Jul 5, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
After MA numbers are now ( FC was .5 instead of 1 last time. I did math wrong)
FC-.5
CC-.5
PH-OVER 8
I just added sock with recommended stabilizer. Do I start slam now too or wait until tomorrow to remeasure CYA and then begin slam? I'm worried not adding chlorine now because of the high heat. I will be slamming per mustard algae guidelines.

I reread your post and noticed "Lower the ph first........raise cya to 30..........then SLAM for a couple days and you may get rid of a slight case."
My ph is not lower yet. I added 31oz of MA (31%) as recommended and it stayed the same.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

jetskierg

Jul 5, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
New numbers.
FC-.5
CC-0
PH-7.4
TA-125
CH-525
CYA- still less than 30 but much better. can almost block out dot.
CSI-0.4
Temp is 85 degrees. Will it hurt if i leave sock in while i slam with tons of chlorine?

jetskierg

Jul 5, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Yeah. I put in recommended amount and that's how it came out. This morning FC-16 CC-.5
Can I run the baracuda to pick up loose algae? I brushed this morning and noticed some debris.

woodyp

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
East Texas
Yes you can...but I wouldn't LEAVE it in the pool. As for the over shoot on FC....maybe your pool isn't quite 20k.

jetskierg

Jul 5, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
yeah, i figured all that chlorine would do a number on the rubber/plastic parts. I've had 3 different estimates on the size. I think its probably closer to 19k.

jetskierg

Jul 5, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Last night FC-15 7am FC-12 CC-.5 We did have wind last night that blew some debris into the pool. Another 118 degrees expected today. I am concerned that it seems there is yellow dirt sticking to the sides that doesn't come off with brushing. Should I be using a metal brush? thx

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.