Breaking ground tomorrow and still haven't made final decisions on our small cocktail pool

Cindygood

Jan 28, 2021
Atlanta
Hi All. They are breaking ground tomorrow on our pool and we are having the hardest time making a final decision on pebble sheen/pebble tec color. Our 'spool' - spa pool - cocktail pool -has a 10 x 4 baja shelf (not sure if that's the correct term_ and rest of pool is 23' x 12'. It will have a bench along the 23 foot side and spa jets with blower. We live in a dense metropolitan city, and were only allowed this amount of space per code for the spa pool. The pool will only be about 4 1/2 feet deep, and am struggling with colors to use. We get full sun in the afternoon from noon to dusk. I'm drawn to Tahoe Blue, but am afraid it's going to be way too light, since the pool is so shallow. Don't want the windex blue look ..Someone suggested Blue Granite, but still seems light. Anyone have any suggestions on how we will be able to get some color in such a shallow pool? Our home is modern, so we are going with clean lines on the coping (light ivory tumbled travertine). Thanks so much for any suggestions...

We have blue surf and light ivory travertine, you can check out our build thread in my signature for the pictures. Our builder said that was the most popular color pebblesheen, so we went with it because we liked it on the website and had decision overload at that point.

By the way, we didnt finalize colors until well after ground breaking so you have time.

Here are a few other pics showing the water color at varying depths.

1st pic is at the tanning ledge on the right (10"), bench (maybe 2 feet deep) and the bottom by the drains is 6 feet deep:
Blue Surf 2.jpg

Blue Surf 3.jpg

Wow, that's super pretty and definitely has the color at the shallow depths that we will need. I'm now going to research the heck out of the Blue Surf (had not even considered it). I was ready to pull the plug on Ocean Blue lol...thanks so much

There is also this thread where members have posted their various colors:

Lastly, since your pool is so small, I would consider adding glass beads to the mix. Luminous is what pebbletec calls it. They can really make it sparkle and since it is a small pool it shouldnt be too much additional $. Note that some of the mix have abalone shells instead of glass, those are not recommended since we have see them causing staining.

I have Blue Surf also and have been really happy with it. One general comment though. No matter what color you pick, it’s going to be darker when the plaster is new and will gradually lighten. So don’t stress too much when the plaster doesn’t look like the right color when first installed. It seems to take at least a month or two to lighten up to its true color.

The other thing I would point out is that the pool color changes dramatically based on things outside the pool. Sunny, cloudy, bright but cloudy, etc. Even having a bunch of green trees around the pool will change the color because the green from the trees will reflect off the water. In other words, your pool doesn’t have a single color. It actually many different ones based on the conditions.

I say all of this to help lessen your stress about picking the right color. Make your best choice - I can almost promise you won’t think twice about it once you’ve had the pool for a while.

Cindy - your pool sounds very similar in size and features to our small design under construction, however, we will have a 3’ to 5’ floor. We wanted a Bahamas blue Caribbean look and chose a WetEdge product,Brilliant Blue. Southern exposure - all day sun. I’ll post pictures once its poured in a few weeks. I wish we had selected the glass beads for sparkle - that’s an au some look and not that it’s too late So we’ll see. Just throwing in more options for you to be even more confused! The comments by Dtkokay are really good. This is our second pool - the other one much larger, and he is absolutely right. Good Luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.