Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Chlorine will attack virtually any metal. Even stainless in the right concentration.

WestSidePool

Jun 14, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
I'm thinking it might be alright in my situation, since the only time it would really be touching chlorine is when the cover is rolled onto the reel, otherwise the grommets would be up out of the water. Hrm.

Durk

Jun 14, 2007
New Jersey
Back in the day, brass hardware was commonly used in pool equipment. Before the plastic butterflys, brass bolts and wing-nuts held your attachments to your pole. Brass ball floats held up the the rubber vac hoses that could not float on their own. Of course, with no CYA, FC was normally 1-3ppm. I think they will hold up just fine.

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
I probably should've qualified what I said. In pool concentrations, I think brass will function just fine. It'll corrode very, very quickly but it will not be unusable. If you don't mind the look, I would use it.

mickey4paws

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 10, 2009
S.E. MI
It looks like my main drain cover has brass screws and I don't see any corrosion at all (?) Is there something like "marine grade" brass that maybe there are?

chem geek

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2007
San Rafael, CA USA
Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. The rate of corrosion is higher when the percentage of zinc is higher. Keeping the zinc below 15% and adding a small amount (1%) of tin can make the brass more resistant to corrosion as described here.

Thread starter Other Threads of Interest Forum Replies Date
S Salt Water Chlorine Generators (SWG) 2
K Testing and Balancing Your Water 1
PoolGate The Coffee Bar 11

Other Threads of Interest