Brand new salt cell reading 600 ppm below Taylor test...should I care?

In case anyone is curious...

My new TDS salt meter arrived today. Checked calibration against a known 3000 ppm solution before using. My pool sample came out to 2751 ppm NaCl. So, SWG, two pool stores, and my new meter are showing essentially 2700. Then you have the Taylor drop test showing 3200. I saved some of the 3000 ppm solution I made, so I’m going to try the Taylor test on that solution and see what kind of variance I get.

@JamesW - I meant to swap back to the old cell while I had most of my plumbing drained today but completely forget. I’ll see if I can’t find time to do so tomorrow, otherwise it will have to be when I get back from vacation.

Reactions: JamesW
In case anyone is curious...

My new TDS salt meter arrived today. Checked calibration against a known 3000 ppm solution before using. My pool sample came out to 2751 ppm NaCl. So, SWG, two pool stores, and my new meter are showing essentially 2700. Then you have the Taylor drop test showing 3200. I saved some of the 3000 ppm solution I made, so I’m going to try the Taylor test on that solution and see what kind of variance I get.

@JamesW - I meant to swap back to the old cell while I had most of my plumbing drained today but completely forget. I’ll see if I can’t find time to do so tomorrow, otherwise it will have to be when I get back from vacation.
This may or may not apply, but I have noticed if you don’t swirl/mix vigorously after each drop of the Taylor reagent, you will get a false high reading. At least that’s been my experience with the Taylor salt test.

Edit: I just noticed in your signature you use the Speedstir, so this may not apply in your case.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.