BRAND NEW POOL_I just bought Shock and 3" Cholorine Tabs........then I found was referred to this site

dlkemp22

Mar 11, 2019
Dallas, Texas
Hello,

i was recently referred to this site. i had a quick pool school from my pool builder, which I was not to impressed with. They advised I go out and buy shock and the 3" tabs...which i did and just spent about $200 bucks on. From looking at this site over a little the last few evenings, it looks I didn't need this stuff and could have used bleach.

At this point, what should I do....Can i use what I bought or should I switch to bleach?

I tried to post all of my stats on my signature. My wife tested the water after we added the acid and shock the pool builder suggested....it tested good (according to my wife's calculations), I will add them later.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: First thing - do you have a TF-100 or Taylor K2006C test kit? If not, make that #1. I recommend the TF-100 with speedstir. (Link below) It won't fail you. Then re-test your own water resuts and post back. From there we'll see everything and put it together with some solid advice. No guesswork from this point forward to keep that water clean & clear. Yes, regular bleach will work fine for long-term/daily chlorination. :) Congrats! :swim:

You CAN use those pucks to start up your pool and later when you get to go on a vacy and such.

I need to back you up a bit and ask some questions:
-how are you testing the water?
-what is your wife using to find to do the calculations?
-Where are the pics of this new pool? LOL

Kim:kim:

D,

I suspect that your view of what is "good" and our view of what is "good" are not close to being the same... :)

You need to be able to accurately test the following chemical levels in your pool water...

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

I suggest that you read through our Pool School and see what we are all about... Trouble Free Pool

Thanks,

Jim R.

n re-test your own water resuts and post back. From there we'll see everything and put it together with some solid advice. No guesswork from this point forward to keep that water clean & clear. Yes, regular bleach will work fine for long-term/daily chlorina
Welcome to TFP! :wave: First thing - do you have a TF-100 or Taylor K2006C test kit? If not, make that #1. I recommend the TF-100 with speedstir. (Link below) It won't fail you. Then re-test your own water resuts and post back. From there we'll see everything and put it together with some solid advice. No guesswork from this point forward to keep that water clean & clear. Yes, regular bleach will work fine for long-term/daily chlorination. :) Congrats! :swim:
Pool builder did supply a test kit, neither of the ones your recommended on here though. Let me take a look at which one I have this evening and see if that one is up to par or if I need to upgrade.

Thank you so much for the info. I will post back with more info.

t is your wife using to find to do the calcul
Sweet! Nice stone work. Pool sales/builders usually provide a basic test kit (i.e. Taylor K-2005), so we'll wait to see what they gave you. Maybe all you'll need is the FAS-DPD portion to make use of what you have now. Come-on summer! :swim:
I went ahead and ordered the one you recommended, the TF-100 with speedstir. Once it arrives on Friday I will re-test and post my results.

Thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
DL,

I was right where you are 31/2 years ago. You've got great advisors already looking after you here. People designated as moderators or experts will take you through the process just like they did for me. Other's will also have their experience to share. Some of the people that have already responded are the same ones that help me. In a couple of months you'll be very confident, and if you continue on this track you'll have the best looking pool for miles around. Mine has been the sparkling envy of neighbors for the entire time. I have paid about $10/Mo for chemicals, they pay $80+/mo for a pool service. My chem bill just went down a LOT with conversion to SWG.

My biggest learning was don't hesitate to ask a question. There is no reason to wonder what to do or worry about anything. Experts here are just waiting to help. It's what they do and they enjoy it a lot!

Good luck to you and please keep us posted on progress!

Chris

Last edited:
The test kit we have is the “Pentair Rainbow Pool and Spa Test Kit”. The new kit will arrive on Friday and I will post my results.

Is it best to start a new post when I post all of my test results from the TF-100.

Thank you all for your responses and advice as I try figure all this out!

That is a good basic kit but as you have found it is missing a couple of the tests we need.

Please keep this thread going. It is nice to have the "whole story" in one place to read back on if needed. It helps us remember where you started and what has been done/said already.

When you get your test kit make sure to add it to your siggy so everyone will know what you are testing with.

Kim:kim:

What a gorgeous pool! You've invested a lot of greenbacks in that backyard, and we'll help you protect your investment as well as keep the green (algae) outta that pretty new pool!

The test kit you ordered was primo.... well done, grasshopper! As you may have surmised, Pool Builders build pools, but they're far too often kinda clueless about how to maintain water safely. The flimsy cheap test kits they provide are evidence of that!

And by maintaining your water our way you are *also* protecting your pool surfaces and equipment from unnecessary wear and tear to outright damage.

One thing you'll need to have on hand is a gallon of muriatic acid- with all those spill overs into your new pool (as well as new plaster!) you'll be using it a lot. Learn to use it safely and respect it. Don't use Dry Acid though... it can damage your pool finish in the long term.

Looking forward to those test results-

Maddie :flower:

Oh yeah...one more thing- can you tell us if the type of pucks your purchased have "Blue" in the name?? If so, you do NOT want to use them! Return them or sell them but do not use them as they contain copper which can stain your pretty new pool. No Bueno!!

Oh yeah...one more thing- can you tell us if the type of pucks your purchased have "Blue" in the name?? If so, you do NOT want to use them! Return them or sell them but do not use them as they contain copper which can stain your pretty new pool. No Bueno!!

Yeah sure, sell pucks with copper in them to another unsuspecting pool owner and hope they don't ever come here and come across this thread. o_O

I wouldn't pass off product with a known issue to an unsuspecting buyer.

Hey at least this PB did not give them a SAMPLE tube of test strips like that one did last year!!! :roll:

At least the sample test strips were not paid for when they end up in the trash. :sneaky:

Overall OK. Why is the CH so high? Have you been using Cal-hypo? Need to stick with liquid chlorine.

When your pH gets to 8, add muriatic acid to lower to 7.6. Over time that will drop your TA a bit.

When summer hits you might want to increase your CYA to 50 ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.