Brand New Pool Owner - Small bubbles in filter return - Need help!

Aug 23, 2016
Virginia Beach/VA
Good morning all! I have a 30,000 gallon salt water pool with a Hayward Pro Grid D.E. Filter.

I noticed yesterday that there were small bursts of bubbles coming from the return jets in the side of the pool.

I checked the baskets and emptied them. I also raised the water level to a little over half way up the filter baskets.

At the pump, there does not appear to be any bubbles or air in the the water.

I am not sure how to proceed from here.

Any help is appreciated, and I am just getting started so my knowledge is very limited.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Welp, I Had slight bubbling too, both in returns and in pump basket. Plus the pump was continually losing prime overnight. I took a hose and ran it over each possible leak point on the suction side of the filter that was above ground. When I held my hose over the ball valve, the bubbling stopped. When I disassembled the joint, I found there was a kinked and degraded O ring in there. Replaced and pool pump runs good now.

You can find out about how to use a hose to find a suction side leak on this site. Pretty handy.

Hope this helps.

A few bubbles in the basket is fine as long as it doesn't I crease and lose prime. SWGs often produce bubbles from 1 or 2 returns when they are producing chlorine.

It holds prime perfectly, and the bubbling at the basket is absolutely minuscule. The bubbling at the returns is very slight. When I youtube this, the videos I see are of massive amounts of air coming out of the returns. So it sounds like what I have is normal? I'll keep an eye on it for now.

Thanks for the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.