Brand New Pool, Fresh Water, instantly Green

May 10, 2016
Boston
We got a 5,000 gallon pool, and we filled it via hose. I didn't know at the time that it was well water (setting it up at the grandparents and I thought they were on city water).

As it was filling I started prepping the water for the chemicals it would eventually need. Added chlorine and some CYA to get it to start dissolving.

Checked the PH, added a tiny bit of calcium, and the alkalinity was looking a little low so planned on adding baking soda.

The next day, it finished filling and we have this:

FC 8
PH 7.5
CYA 50
ALK 80
CH 100

But something was weird. It was BRIGHT GREEN.

I have ordered "CUlator" and HTH Metal control, but they won't be in for a few days.

Am I off kilter here with the diagnosis that this may be high iron or copper water from a well oxidizing? Or have we got a problem with the well water and an algea bloom?

I will say it only loses a few ppm FC from day to day, so it doesn't look like anything's consuming FC at any crazy rate.

Please help :)

Attachments

• 20210626_190012.png
    20210626_190012.png
    717.1 KB · Views: 43
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Wells typically have iron, and depending on the content and liner color it can show up in various hues (green, brown, etc). But my guess is iron. Get yourself a 5-gallon bucket and stuff it with polyfill and run the water through it. Do a YouTube search to see them in action. The sooner you get that water through some polyfill the better. Only after you've filtered as much as possible should you try a sequestrant in the final stages of metal management.

full

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Wells typically have iron, and depending on the content and liner color it can show up in various hues (green, brown, etc). But my guess is iron. Get yourself a 5-gallon bucket and stuff it with polyfill and run the water through it. Do a YouTube search to see them in action. The sooner you get that water through some polyfill the better. Only after you've filtered as much as possible should you try a sequestrant in the final stages of metal management.
Thanks for the suggestion...

I am short of time and resources, is there any downside to me packing some polyfill in pantyhose / pillowcase, and sliding it inside my Type A filter in next to the pump, and just change it out regularly?

Or is there an easier / cheaper way to do it that doesn't include modifying 5 gallon buckets ? :)

is there any downside to me packing some polyfill in pantyhose / pillowcase, and sliding it inside my Type A filter in next to the pump, and just change it out regularly?
As long as water can flow through it, I don't se a problem. Get as creative as needed to use the poly.

I'm curious- I have this pump (Intex 28635EG). Is there any risk in running the pump with no filter at all, and instead add polyfill socks to the bin for a day? The pool itself is relatively clean / no junk in it since it's a brand new fill.

The iron will coat that filter but the surface area is tiny compared to a 5 gallon bucket with polyfill in it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We ran our water through a 55 gal drum filled with polyfil for 2 weeks (rinsing the fill daily). We use soft water for top offs. We have not needed any further treatments! We are big believers of the polyfil method!
Our filter box isn't very large (takes Type A intex filters). What are your thoughts on us simply making polyfill sock filters to put in there instead until it's cleared up?

I'd do a 5gal bucket before I'd do the sock filter. Its just not big enough. But hey...if it's an easy place to start-try it out and see how much you can get.

I'd do a 5gal bucket before I'd do the sock filter. Its just not big enough. But hey...if it's an easy place to start-try it out and see how much you can get.
Well you convinced me not to half Rear it this time and just go the whole nine... When I got there this afternoon it was poop brown already.

Took this pic after it had been filtering an hour. I think it's already looking better but time will tell!

How often do you take it off and rinse the polyfill? Or should i replace it with new poly fill?

Attachments

• signal-2021-06-28-192520.jpeg
    signal-2021-06-28-192520.jpeg
    422.6 KB · Views: 64
Mine looked the same. You can rinse the iron out of the fill and reuse. Rinse until the water runs clear. You'll be amazed at how much it catches.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.