Brand new pool...and a busted hose

Jul 18, 2010
Central Illinois
I am kinda torked right now....two days of filling the pool and I find that one of my hoses has many holes in it. I am fortunate that I opened up the lines and let the return line fill the filter and tank assembly. It was then that I found water shooting into the air from my skimmer hose. The reason I say that I feel fortunate is...I had not filled the pool up to the skimmer yet...thus no major water loss when I removed the hose.

Now I have to drive 30 miles tomorrow evening and get the hose. They better give me a new hose..or things will go south real quick. This new pool is not getting off to the best start....when can I expect the fun to begin? :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Some approve of using it, and some don't. I absolutely do not allow it in anything I am in involved with, for exactly the reason that you are seeing.

There are no code infractions with using this stuff (toned down version of what I wanted to call it :evil: ), so these guys get away with using it. IMHO, the only reason to use this pipe is to go faster. It has absolutely nothing to do with doing a good job or providing a good product for the customer. We've plumbed with rigid PVC for years, and they make 45's and 90's when you have to "bend" the pipe. It may take a little longer, but it is the right way to plumb.

I really am sorry to hear this. I hate flex pipe; I don't believe it has any place in swimming pool construction!

It will be time and money well spent when you re-do it. I'm glad if I was able to provide some help (us bikers need to stick together :cool: ).

Now, go enjoy your pool :cheers: :cheers:

simicrintz this is a horrible day....how many times can I tell you how right you are. I came home from work today to find the pool drained below the return line. Guess what the installers chose not to tighten the hose clamps...so now I am topping off again...wasted chemicals and all. I am really thinking getting a swimming pool is not a very good idea. I think I messed up!

Getting the pool was a great decision, especially for all of the good times and memories you will be making :goodjob:

A pool installer who uses flex pipe and rushes through the installation, only thinking about profit, should be shot (hung, stoned, covered in honey and left on an ant mound, etc.) however :evil: :evil:

Hang in there. Once you get the bugs worked out and finish Shmucko's work you'll be glad you did!

simicrintz: when my pool was installed about 4 years ago it was plumbed with flex pipes. It still is. Until I read this thread I had never even considered another option. :oops:

I replaced the first set of flex pipes after two years and figured I'd be doing the same at the end of this season...

Sometimes I realize I'm not as smart as I thought I was :lol:

Since I bring my pump and filter into the basement for the winter do you have a suggestion for an easy PVC disconnect coupling for the pump intake and filter discharge? Also, the pump and filter just rest on a paver base right now, and if they move a bit (they don't, but if they did) the flex pipe would move too. With rigid PVC should the pump/filter base be bolted down...say to a permanent cement base?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You should be able to get some threaded unions, Peter. That would allow you to remove and store your components pretty easily.

Don't worry about the movement. Rigid PVC can withstand quite a bit of shock, and I can't imagine that you would get any more from your pool that anyone else. You should see the movement I get when my solar kicks on and the air clears out of the line :shock: Haven't lost a fitting yet though :cool:

Thanks Bruce. Sounds like a nice little fall project.

I've spent 4 years fussing over a deck around the pool and never got it done. Maybe I can get the hard wiring, deck and permanent piping done now.

...and this is my beautiful wife:... :blah: :blah:

and me:...Honey, this year, I promise...

I was going to ask that same question. I thought there was a big difference between AG Pool hose and Flex Pipe. I just installed my first pool this year and have hoses for my plumbing. My plan is to hard plumb with PVC prior to next season. I do check the connections of my hoses everyday prior to running my filter and inspect the entire length regularly. My wife does say I suffer from OCD and I am starting to think she may be right...

Heckpools said:
simicrintz said:
I almost hate to ask, but is it flex pipe :evil: :evil:

i believe he had a/g pool hose, not flex pvc..BIG difference

That could be. I have zero experience with AG pools, so I am not sure exactly what is used for these (which is why I asked if it was flex pipe initially :cool: ).

That being said, if I had an AG pool, I would still plumb everything with rigid PVC. Pool hose, flex pipe, whatever they use, can only be so strong. I would imagine it is used for the sole purpose of speed and maybe keeping costs down; two things I have limited tolerance for!

I more than likely do not have flex hose then...it sure looks like it would fit the description. But after two mishaps with the pool hoses in the first two days of operation...I agree with simicrintz...the PVC is the way to go. It will give me the piece of mind that I am looking for!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.