Brand new motor started to smoke? What's going on?

Aug 6, 2018
Indianapolis
I just bought a brand new Century B128 Motor motor to replace my previous one. Pool store talked me into just replacing my old one as the bearings were bad.

I'm nearly positive it should be set to 115 volts. I had them confirm that the old one was set to only 115 volts. I also only have a single 20 amp breaker in my panel for the pool. I wired it all up and it immediately started smoking. I'm working with the company, but at this point it sounds as if the blame will be put on me and having "some weird wiring", even though I don't think I do. They said we will probably have to warranty out the pump, which I imagine won't be a quick process.

I took pictures of how it was wired before:
20220614_130223.jpg

This is how I wired the new one.
20220615_141857.jpg

I did have a little trouble getting the hot and neutral wire on it as the prongs next to the screw were in the way. But I'm 100% the wires are on there very snug.

In case it matters, here is a picture of my breaker box:

20220615_142856.jpg
You can see the pool breaker on the top right.

Outside, I have this panel with 2 switches below:

20220615_143507.jpg20220615_142823.jpg20220615_142811.jpg

The outside breaker on the left (the black one) is the one to the pool. The one on the right is to an old pool light. I turn this breaker off when I'm adjusting the pool filter (like switching to backwash). For electrical stuff, like changing the motor, I flip the breaker in my house breaker box. I'm honestly not sure what the switches below (the last picture) are for. I never touch them, but they also are between the breaker and the motor.

Anything seem odd? Why would a brand new motor start smoking immediately? I think this typically happens if you have 230 volts but the motor is set to 115. For me, the motor is set to 115, and I'm 99% sure I'm supplying 115 volts.

Thanks all! I noticed that white wire was in the wrong place too. But I told them to wire it for the same voltage as the previous motor. I was 99% sure it was on 115 volts to begin with as I only had a single 20 amp pole. They confirmed it was 115 and said they wired it to it. I asked them if the white wire mattered that it was in a different position and they said no. Talked with someone else at the store who said it was in the wrong place (as pointed out) and that they will fix it free of charge ASAP. So all is getting resolved. Thanks!

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.