Brand new- Landscaping Help Needed for TX

Imabucki

Oct 27, 2021
san antonio, tx
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We live in San Antonio, TX and just built a pool. Looking for advice for everything! We need some screening tees/bushes/plants for our fence line that runs adjacent to our pool. There is not much space (like 5 feet) and would need them to grow to at least 12-15 feet high due to our sloped lot. Any suggestions for trouble free, or as close to that as possible, in the living screen department! Yikes, and any other tidbits we can use to make this easier!

Post some pics of the areas you are working with and it may get some ideas from members. I use arborvitaes in NJ but don't know if they work in TX.

I'm happy so far with the fence line landscaping for my pool. Depending on how much space you have to work with, Eagleston Holly, Japanese Yew Meta, and/or Scarlet's Peak may work well.

Hi. I'm in the midst of landscaping decisions too. Kept saying will deal with landscaping after the pool but after consulting with a landscaper now I feel this should've been done before the actual build--and we would've saved money if we had.

That being said the landscaper mentioned to me he finally understands what I am going for as a theme (which was news to me really because I had no clue I had a theme). But I would recommend visiting different nurseries/landscaping supply places and talking to staff--got different plant ideas, rock ideas, paver ideas etc... Showed them pics of pool and that also helped with making final decisions.

Reactions: kimkats
I'll join the club. We are in the middle of the pool build and am trying to figure out landscaping. It's overwhelming! It's too small a project to really get a landscape designer involved (at least around here) but too big for me to just want to hire somebody to do the labor.

It's too small a project to really get a landscape designer involved (at least around here) but too big for me to just want to hire somebody to do the labor.
Same, small yard and project yet uncertain doing it ourselves. Sprinklers and drip lines had been installed where we expected plants to be during the build. Now going through landscaping and realizing that those decisions have changed and will require areas to revamp. Other areas will need creative solutions to get certain plants.

The professional advice (paid an hourly rate) was so valuable for me. Learned so much but because I had gone to the local nurseries (and talked to staff there for free) we were able to fit a lot in an hour consult. Not having plans drawn up but instead doing segmented areas at a time, but feeling like I can see the big picture. It also feels collaborative (we can do this part and he tells us what to buy, size, where etc...) and then his staff does their part. Happy with cost and results so far.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. I have looked at Hollies ( Nellie Stevens, Savannah) and while they would be a good choice for the space we have a little dog and a cat that roam our yard that would definitely eat the berries which are toxic to them. So out of fear of that, I think Hollies are out. I was thinking about Magnolia, specifically little Gems as they get about 25 feet tall at maturity. Here is a pic of the build and the fence line. It is tight (5 feet) but definitely necessary due to the slope.

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 42
Make sure you are thinking through root structure. You do not want issues with your plumbing or pool walls due to large root structures. Here in NC, Magnolias are popular trees, but they are very messy. They drop large leaves and large flowers, etc all year long. Maybe you have a different species than what is popular here...

Reactions: Imabucki
Make sure you are thinking through root structure. You do not want issues with your plumbing or pool walls due to large root structures. Here in NC, Magnolias are popular trees, but they are very messy. They drop large leaves and large flowers, etc all year long. Maybe you have a different species than what is popular here...
In my neighborhood Magnolias are prohibited by the HOA for that very reason.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the feedback. I have looked at Hollies ( Nellie Stevens, Savannah) and while they would be a good choice for the space we have a little dog and a cat that roam our yard that would definitely eat the berries which are toxic to them. So out of fear of that, I think Hollies are out. I was thinking about Magnolia, specifically little Gems as they get about 25 feet tall at maturity. Here is a pic of the build and the fence line. It is tight (5 feet) but definitely necessary due to the slope.
What did you decide to do? Still thinking about it? Also in the same situation.

In my neighborhood Magnolias are prohibited by the HOA for that very reason.
Wow, I didn't know magnolias were that messy! They're evergreen and usually that means very little leaf drop. So this is good to know. I have a landscaper from a nursery coming out next week and during our initial meeting he mentioned using magnolias and eagleston hollies. I'll tell him no magnolias.

I would say take your time and don't feel rushed to plant anything. Some plants are messy, and you certainly want to ensure what you plant is native to our hot/humid area, but can also tolerate the Jan-Feb frosts we seem to receive. Also be careful that the plants you choose don't require excessive bedding. If so, make sure that bedding (i.e. mulch) can't get washed into the pool. It can make a mess of things.

What kind of irrigation do you plan on having for the fence line? Drip system tapped off of existing sprinkler system?

We have some Savannah Holly's that surround our pool used for a privacy screen. Not to happy with them due to they have not grown as fast as I thought they would. Also for some reason a few of them have completely dropped all of their leaves like they died and slowly regrew their leaves but not fully. We've put some fertilizer down that has helped them a bit but still no answer on why some of them lost all of their leaves.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.