Brand New Hayward DE Filter Install - Shot DE in Pool On First Scoop - Was Leaking Water at Clamp/Belt

Palpatine

Bronze Supporter
Sep 3, 2019
West Hills, CA
Hi All,

I had a nightmare installing a new filter yesterday, definitely may be what caused this problem, but got it going with some new plumbing and no water leaks, however...

First scoop of DE definitely shot back out the returns for a minute or so (maybe less) and then stopped. When it stopped I continued to load it up with DE and nothing seems to be coming out the returns anymore. Spa definitely still looks a bit cloudy still but I've left the filter going now and am hoping it will clear up. I cannot see any more DE coming out the returns since the first 30-60 seconds after the first scoop of DE.

This is a Hayward DEP 80, which is very similar to the Pentair Quad DE filters. Am I fooling myself? Is there definitely a problem that needs to be addressed?

Typically you should add the DE by pre-dissolving it a scoop at a time into a few gallons of water. Never add DE powder directly into the skimmer, it can cause a clog to form. The pump should be on high speed when loading DE. Go slow at first when adding it as it takes time for the DE to coat the cartridges and the internal air bleed screen. You will sometimes see a short burts of DE on the first scoop and then it should stop. LEAVE THE PUMP RUNNING FOR 24-36 HOURS. It takes time for the DE to load up the cartridges and stick to it. After you shut off the pump you'll probably see DE come out of the returns for 10-20secs when you start the pump up again. This is normal and it should subside after a few days. If it does not or if the stream of DE seems to be continuous or lasts more than 20-30secs, then something is not sealed properly on the inside of the filter. You'll need to open it up, clean it out, reseat everything and try again.

Reactions: Palpatine
@JoyfulNoise Thank you for your prompt response. I'll defiintely pre-dissolve it when adding in the future. Definitely will run the filter for the next two to three days straight.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best here. I made a couple of very rookie, very stupid mistakes during the install (hindsight is 20/20 I suppose).

Instead of replacing my very old Hayward push/pull backwash valve I tried to install the new filter right to the old one... and I could tell that the o-rings were no good, but since nobody had them in stock I figured I'd lube them up real good and everything would be fine. Very bad idea.

I wound up cranking the unions to the filter so tight to try and stop the leaking that I heard a loud popping noise. Definitely thought I broke the filter. Then when I tried to unscrew the unions it actually started moving the male threaded part that's attached to the filter. Eventually I had to borrow a neighbor's channel locks so that I could hold them still while I reversed out and disconnected the filter from the backwash valve. I know that male part is not supposed to turn and thought for sure that I broke something inside the filter but when I opened it up, everything looked fine in there.

I went out and bought new backwash valve, hooked that up to the filter, did some new plumbing and kept my fingers crossed.

Also, not sure if it's worth mentioning, but I did water test last night after I let the glue dry for a couple of hours... so the filter was full of water all night without DE. I figured if it wasn't leaking water when I fired it up in the morning I'd load up with DE and hope I didn't ruin the wife and kids Memorial Day weekend.

Side Note: Simply disconnecting an old filter from a backwash valve and connecting a new one to it is FAR from simple. Much easier to connect the backwash valve to the filter first then plumb back to the valve. I highly recommend anyone doing this for their first time to just buy a new back wash valve at the same time as replacing your filter and connect that first.

Couple of other quick questions if anyone has time...

1. I did notice a very slight leak coming out from under the belt... is it okay to tighten while the pump is running?

2. Also, does it matter if you tighten on the bolt or the nut?

Thanks

Well, I got a bit antsy, so went out and bought a torque wrench and set it to 150 in. pounds (recommended by Hayward) to see if it needed tightening... and I've definitely already passed that. Just to defend my actions... the first torque wrench I bought was for ft. pounds and when it wasn't budging even at the lowest setting I figured something was wrong... DOH! But yeah, likely another case of over tightening.

As you can see in the pics my filter is leaking very slightly from under the clamp, red arrow in first pic, and pretty much the same place on the other side of slide valve.

Even though I just loaded it with DE for the first time today... should I turn everything off, open the air valve till water leaves filter... then remove the clamp and reseat the o ring (with more lube) and top of filter to try and alleviate the leak?Hayward De Filter Clamp Leaking.jpgHayward De Filter Clamp Leaking 2.jpg

It sounds like the body o-ring was not seated properly. They can move around when trying to finagle the top cover on. Here’s a trick -

1. Silicone lube only, no sprays and no Teflon. No need to use huge gobs of it. Just make the O-ring look shiny and slick.

2. Place the waist clamp and tighten the bolts only very lightly. Then tap around the clamp with a heavy rubber mallet (NOT a hammer). Then tighten some more. Then tap some more. Keep doing that process until you reach the specified torque.

@JoyfulNoise Last night was a no go. But this morning I did take it apart, reseat/lube, and do the tap tap trick until I reached 150 in. pounds of pressure... and it didn't appear to be leaking in the first 5 minutes or so. I'll keep checking, but so far so good.

However, I did notice when it was opened that it didn't look like near enough DE to me on the grids. Maybe I just don't know any better, but I did put about 8 pounds in yesterday (per Hayward instructions). Does this look right or should I add another pound or two? Operating PSI is at almost 18 on level 4 of pump which is 2875 rpms.

What do you think?

Attachments

• DE1.jpg
    DE1.jpg
    402.5 KB · Views: 12
  • DE2.jpg
    DE2.jpg
    432.5 KB · Views: 12
  • DE3.jpg
    DE3.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 11
  • DE4.jpg
    DE4.jpg
    459.2 KB · Views: 13
  • DE5.jpg
    DE5.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 12
Similar to the Pentair QuadDE, even at 10lbs of DE the cartridges don’t look fully coated. However, they do have DE on them and will look more coated up over time. My guess is the majority of the DE is sitting in the lower bowl.

As for pressure, I can’t say, that is system/plumbing specific.

I don’t know if it just an optical illusion of how the camera is held during a picture, but one of those cartridges doesn’t look vertical, it looks like it’s tilted at an angle. Not sure how the Hayward filters are supposed to look, but in the Pentair filters the cartridges stand up vertically. Check that everything is seated properly on the lower manifold.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Grrrrr, yes I did notice that when opened and it did look like it was seated properly so I just went with it. Not sure how it would get out of wack, but all seems to be working without any leaks so I'll probably just leave it be unless you think it's critically important for me to re-open and re-verify.

Thanks for all your help @JoyfulNoise .

Grrrrr, yes I did notice that when opened and it did look like it was seated properly so I just went with it. Not sure how it would get out of wack, but all seems to be working without any leaks so I'll probably just leave it be unless you think it's critically important for me to re-open and re-verify.

Thanks for all your help @JoyfulNoise .

If it's not seated properly, you will know - DE will blow back into your pool. So keep and eye out for the returns shooting cloudy water. Next time it gets opened, I would fully inspect those cartridges and the lower manifold to make sure everything is seated correctly. Good luck.

If it's not seated properly, you will know - DE will blow back into your pool. So keep and eye out for the returns shooting cloudy water. Next time it gets opened, I would fully inspect those cartridges and the lower manifold to make sure everything is seated correctly. Good luck.
Thanks brotha. Stay safe and have a Happy Memorial Day Weekend!!!

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.