Brand new AGP - liquid chlorine and salt?

BowserWowser

Feb 28, 2021
Virginia Beach, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I don't have any water test results because my pool is not yet built! It's in process...but I already have a Taylor test kit for when the time comes.

I'm trying to be sure I'm prepared for when the pool is built. I've ordered salt and stabilizer; I was able to get an idea of how much of each to buy by reading articles and using Pool Math (though I know to add less salt and test and add more if needed...).

But I've read I need to do liquid chlorine before the salt? I can't find anywhere how much liquid chlorine I may need to start with. I'll be filling with city water from the hose. I just want an idea of how many gallons to buy because it's getting difficult to find...can anyone point me in the right direction?

I also read another post about not putting salt in and starting the SWCG for at least a month after filling the pool...but I'm not sure why or if this is true.

Am I completely missing TFP articles somewhere on how to start a new pool?

Hey Bowser !!!

Plan on manually dosing for a bit. Liquid chlorine right away while you work on your CYA target of 70. In the meantime we’ll help you get everything else in line. As soon as it is, add salt, let it mix for a day and fire up the SWG. It will be a few days or a week. The no SWG for 30 days is for plaster pools that cure after filling.

Reactions: BowserWowser
The no SWG for 30 days is for plaster pools that cure after filling.
Phew, okay. That makes sense. Thank you!

I'd probably start with two cases (8 gallons). You can always go grab more if necessary.
That's the problem, though - I can't grab more. I'm having a hard time finding it right now as it is. I think with the chlorine tablet shortage, people have panic-purchased ALL types of chlorine, and now I'm only finding a gallon of liquid chlorine for $30+. People in my area LOVE to panic-buy and stockpile...just ask me about the recent Gas Crisis of 2021 that lasted all of 2 days and only happened at all because people were panicking unnecessarily :rolleyes:

What's the pool volume? Use PoolMath to figure how much chlorine you need to get started. You probably need 4x-5x that for the first couple of days until you the SWG is up and running.
I tried Pool Math (I've already installed the app), and it said I didn't have enough data. It's about 17k gallons.

Ah ok. I bought 22 cases of LC right before the season started because of the chlorine shortage. However, I've had no problem finding it. I was at Meijer the other day and they had 6 pallets of LC, for $16 per case. Can you drive out somewhere to see if there are places that have it? I see you are in VA Beach, maybe inland will have more chances?

In my area I know there are areas that were completely sold out of LC. But in other areas, with less pool owners, there was plenty of LC.

I have a 17,000 gallon pool as well.

Rough rule of thumb - my old quart Nalgene bottle, almost up to the lip, will raise FC by 1.0 ppm with bargain brand bleach.

12.5% liquid from a pool store is more around the 2.0 ppm that MIT Beta describes.

I opened my pool this year with quite a bit of crud it in (cover ripped while removing it). I used 5 gallons of liquid shock to get it clear, SLAMed, and pass the OCLT. My salt was low as well, because I lost of lot of water over the winter (this was just a bad winter pool-wise). I had to add 120 lbs of salt to get it to 3000 ppm. It takes about a day for the salt to get evenly disbursed and the salt cell to get a stable reading.

You may want to look around for the liquid chlorine. I get a case of 4 one gallon bottles of 12.5% liquid shock from Leslie's Pool Supplies for +/- $20

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.