Bowed wall on an IG concrete wall.

Itsmesuzy

Dec 30, 2020
Syracuse, NY
I purchased my home 27 years ago and it already had a 16x32 inground concrete pool. I joined this site to get some advice on how to fix a bowed concrete wall in the pool. I had a liner added 12 years ago and it's time to replace it and so it's the best time to fix the bowed wall if possible. Local pool companies have advised to leave it and just replace the liner but I want to get advice on if this is the best route. The concrete decking will be repaired regardless if the wall can be fixed.

Attachments

• Cement deck crack and wall bow.jpg
    Cement deck crack and wall bow.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 49
I purchased my house in Syracuse NY 27 years ago with an IG 16x32 concrete pool already installed. The pool is probably close to 50 years old now.
the pool was closed when I bought it (December) and apparently had cracks and so half the water leaked from the pool by February.
I had it repaired in the spring (1994), they repaired the cracks, replaced the decking and painted the pool but the wall had a bow in it. I was told just leave water in the pool and it will be fine.

About 12 years ago I had a liner put in as added protection and now that it's time for a new liner I am looking for advice to see if repairing the the bow is possible.
The pool companies I have had look at it said to leave it and just replace the liner and concrete deck which is cracked.
The picture showing the patch also shows that the wall sticks out further than the coping. One company assumed the coping was installed straight ignoring the bow and not along the bow.
There is also a star wrinkle in the bottom of the pool which has been there for a few years and I was told that's from ground water getting in.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• 20200831_104043.jpg
    20200831_104043.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Cement deck crack and wall bow.jpg
    Cement deck crack and wall bow.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Liner as wrinkles on pool floor.jpg
    Liner as wrinkles on pool floor.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 42
You can only assess what it will take to repair the bow after the liner is removed and probably the deck area by the bow is removed. Then what structural changes are required can be determined.

Anything can be repaired with enough time and money.

You will get a better idea of your situation after the liner is removed.

Have you any idea why the wall is bowed? Is that a tree up near the top left corner? There is no point fixing it if you don’t address the cause. Having almost just completed a house and pool build the full extent of works is not apparent until your in the ground.

Have you any idea why the wall is bowed? Is that a tree up near the top left corner? There is no point fixing it if you don’t address the cause. Having almost just completed a house and pool build the full extent of works is not apparent until your in the ground.
There are no trees around. I believe that the pool had cracks and the former owner tried to fix and closed the pool. Winter in Syracuse happened and I believe that the cracks were not fixed and water leaked into the ground and then froze and bowed the wall and heaved the concrete decking. That was 27 years ago and the wall has been bowed for that long. the next spring is when I had the cracks fixed, the pool painted and concrete replaced. A trench was dug along the wall and down the yards and a drainage pipe was put in. We also put gutters in to deflect water coming off the roof.

It all depends on if the pool is built with block or poured walls. Likely the deck cracked amd water got behind the walls amd pushed them out, or pool leaked amd same thing. Probably a very expensive job to repair at this point, major surgery amd then a careful tie in with new concrete to hopefully structurally sound corners. As said you womt know til deck comes up amd you dig behind it. That's where I'd start

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.