Bottom foam on AGP, is it really worth it?

poolnoob

Jul 28, 2010
Montreal, Canada
Hi guy, buying an 18 foot above ground pool this weekend, and they are trying to sell me a bottom foam pad which goes under the whole pool including the posts (extra 260$) claiming the pool will be more stable and increase the life of liner

any opinions on this, is it worth the money?

Thanks for you quick responses

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
A lot of people like the feel of the foam bottom but it isn't required and won't affect the life of your liner if it's installed correctly (which it should be, with or without the foam).

poolnoob

Jul 28, 2010
Montreal, Canada
I appreciate the input,

theres a chain of pool stores "Club Piscine"here in montreal, it's funny how one store completely recommends them and the other says it's not worth it

flyweed

Bronze Supporter
Aug 3, 2009
SW Wisconsin
give ya my two cents...my buddy has a 27' agp and I have a 33' agp..I used sand under my liner and that's it..he used the pool pad. He has seam marks every 2 feet, or whatever the width is..my bottom is perfectly flat and comfortable. no seams or creases anywhere.

I would NOT put that stuff under my liner if it had those goofy seams showing every few feet. Just not worth it in my opinion

TimS

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Central Missouri
I have a foam bottom, and as flyweed says, I have very visible (and deep) seams every few feet across my pool. Dirt really collects in them. It does nothing to smooth out any imperfections in the substrate. Mine is crushed rock with a heavy plastic barrier under the foam. The bottom of mine is not even remotely smooth. Unfortunately (?) I replaced my liner last year and didn't fix the bottom at that time (didn't know any better then.) If anything, it got worse. I'd love to replace the bottom, but will have to wait until the next time I have to replace the liner.

All that said, the bottom is soft and comfortable to walk on, but I'd rather do sand or something. I can't give you a good recommendation on any alternatives, just my own experience.

docthebiker

Jul 18, 2010
Central Illinois
My pool dealer sells the Happy Bottom foam underlayment....but they do not push it. They actually suggest getting the poly film from the installer. They put put the thin poly film down then add the sand on top. Then in goes the liner. I went this route. The poly film also is known to prevent "sand washout" during heavy rains or floods. Just my two cents. I have had hot tubs for years...but this is my first permanent above ground pool.

Thread starter Other Threads of Interest Forum Replies Date
S Pumps, Filters, and Plumbing 15
M Under Construction 15
GriffithJerryl Everything Else 3

Other Threads of Interest