Jun 13, 2014
TX
I will be adding BORAX to my pool soon. I'll be adding it while in the 20 Mule Team Borax form. All the videos I see show adding it by pouring it into the skimmer while the pump is on. I don't have a skimmer. Can I just pour it into the pool and get in and kick it around until it dissolves? I'll turn on the pump afterwards and run it for a day like they say to.

If you have never considered using Borax before, I suggest you look at it closely. Once you get your chemicals right and apply this stuff properly, your pool will lock into a state of greatness. It makes the water soft, fights algae and makes the water sparkle more, softens your skin. All sorts of good stuff. Check it out.

Thank you for your replies with links too! I will do the same. I will try to answer your post in order I received them. I will pre-dissolve the Borax and add as you suggested. Now that I think of it, I did see one guy do it like that but then he cast it out over the middle of the pool from a bucket. You are saying to pour it back into the pool near a return being where the water shoots back into the pool after being filtered by the pump correct? Note in step 4 of a link I provide below, TFP is suggesting I poor an acid mix directly into the skimmer.

You asked why I was adding Borax. Like I said earlier, I used borates before and they make keeping the pool chemicals stable very easy. I used the expensive liquid ones before that cost $250 and up for my pool. This time I'm using the 20 Mule Team Borax which will cost about $50 for my pool. Properly installed, Borates almost super glues many of your pool chem settings in place. When big rains come or other things that normally cause your chem levels to go out of whack, borates seem to make them bounce back by themselves. I'm not saying your work is done and you are now hands off but you have to try them to see for yourself.

Here is a link of a guy on youtube who I tend to listen to while applying TFPC to my pool too. Here is a link to one of his several videos about Borax and how and why it works:

Then, in the link you gave me here being Borates in pool - Further Reading there is another link in there that goes here which explains in depth why borates are awesome to add to your pool. Here it is:

So you want to add borates to your pool--Why and How

So hopefully this post didn't break any rules and hopefully it explains in depth why I am adding the Borax.

I want to say again how grateful I am to get responses to my post. Especially the links you gave. One of the links you provided had the Pool Gospel in for explaining the different chem settings being the Recommended Pool Chemicals. Here it is and it is GOLD!

Recommended Pool Chemicals - Trouble Free Pool

Thanks again all!

Borates are fine to use. It is just better to use Boric Acid to add them to your pool water. That way you do not have to use so much acid to counteract the rise in pH due to the Borax.

The other liquid options I saw cost about $50 a bottle and I would have needed about 6 bottles based on what I had read. So that's $300. Maybe Boric acid and what I was looking at are different and have different costs too. The 20-Mule Borax was about $60 total and the Muriatic acid another $20 for 2 gallons or so. I compared the $300 to the $80-$90 and chose the cheap route this time. Now I'm going to go look-up Boric acid. Have a good one and Thanks.

Using 20 mule team Borax to raise pH is a great idea........that's is it's suggested usage.

The use of increasing borates in your pool is an idea that comes and goes over time here on the TFP forum and has been discussed over and over.

The use of borates certainly does absolutely no harm.

To consider borates as the panacea for your pool care is mistaken. TFP suggests you maintain your pool chemistry according to "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. Then, when your pool is crystal clear and stable, you may choose to add borates but there is no clear-cut, decisive information that it has the (often miraculous) characteristics that many think.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.