Borates effect other chemistry?

thebrez1

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
May 2, 2020
Tulsa oklahoma
Moved from here.

Sort of off the thread, but I have now reached 50 ppm with my borates. Water looks and tests great! My question is does the 50 ppm borates throw off any other test results? Do I need to compensate anything comparable to the CYA/Chlorine relationship?

New to posting, but I have been following (and using) the info on this site since I uncovered my pool. Sparkling water, never a problem and great testing (
Taylor 2005). Decided to go the Borax method to reach 50 ppm and I love it! I can't believe how complicated (and expensive) some sites make water chemistry. Never had a pool, but went to Swim University and this site to study and learn before I ever started. Once you get your head around the relationships of the different levels, it is pretty easy to maintain! Couldn't have done it without the help of this site! The borates are just the next level to me :) I just want to double check that the borates are not giving me false readings on other levels like pH or chlorine.

• Love
Reactions: Jeff J. and Leebo
I read on some posts that the calculators were not accurate with recommendation/levels when 50 ppm borates was involved. Just looking to verify that TFP calculator figures in the borate calculations correctly.

Working solely off memory here so please don’t quote me on this one........

As long as Borates are recorded the majority of the App will update itself to take them into account. The main time it won’t take Borates into effect will be when using the “effects of adding” and trying to figure out how much XYZ ounces of acid will lower your pH. It should give a result, but it’s not totally accurate.

Richard was slyly leading you to here ----
We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP.
We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Richard was slyly leading you to here ----
We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP.
We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!
I just found and was reading after seeing the big SUPPORT TFP in the menu. Sorry I was such an idiot and never looked. Thanks for the info.

So I assume there is something other than membership per year fee? Send me so info. Don't take this wrong, but how it is used, how is it accounted for, is it overseen? No offense, but I don't want to buy your chlorine :)
I get no kickbacks, no salary, no nothing out of it. Not even a discount on test kit refills. But somebody somewhere has to pay for servers and bandwidth, and you'll notice no annoying ads here.

Reactions: BadDogPSD
I get no kickbacks, no salary, no nothing out of it. Not even a discount on test kit refills. But somebody somewhere has to pay for servers and bandwidth, and you'll notice no annoying ads here.
Hi oh Silver :) Good help is hard to find and I appreciate it. Keep it up!
Done. Thanks for wink, wink. Nudge nudge :)

• Love
Reactions: BadDogPSD and Leebo
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.