Clermont FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
I “Borated” the pool (Boric Acid) after getting our new pool balanced and seemed to sense a water quality feel/sparkle others have mentioned. Also I don’t get the chlorine itch I usually get from many pools. But after the long hot summer I just came to realize .... I didn't have a hint of the intermittent skin fungal issue that can crop up in this hot humid environment and always did when I was a young swimmer AND the old man toenails are clear now...... Not a clinical trial but ... antifungal treatments have never lasted for me and I gave up on those PITA treatments a while ago. I’m a microbiologist and wondered before if these borate levels were high enough to be anti-fungal given the limited exposure and relatively low borate [conc]? I just looked it up and the 50 ppm level is close to that used in eye washes and other “hygiene” products... Anyway I’m a believer at this point... but I guess I’ll have to heat the pool and keep swimming...

Reactions: Divin Dave
Over the years, borates have been frequently associated with several beneficial side effects in addition to pH stability. To my knowledge, they have never been associated with unwanted side effects.

Is this the first pool you've used a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWG) before? That could explain a lot of your increased skin comfort.

Maddie :flower:
Yes. 1st personal pool, period. But I didn’t go with borates for a while and I still felt the occasional itchiness before borates.

Last edited:
Over the years, borates have been frequently associated with several beneficial side effects in addition to pH stability. To my knowledge, they have never been associated with unwanted side effects.
Honestly, I didn’t really see a change in pH stability with Boric acid. I was hoping to. I still add the same regular amounts of acid. Its the water quality factor and the beneficial skin effects that sells me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.