Booster Pump Overheating

rdmustang

Mar 20, 2012
We noticed our Polaris hasn't been picking up lately so I went to investigate.

Our booster pump (Hayward 3/4hp) starts buzzing, heats up and the thermal protector kicks in and shuts the motor off.

The pump is 5 years old. I've read that the most common issues are debris blocking the impeller or bad bearings. The pump is plumbed in so I can't pop off hoses and look inside. The booster comes after the cartridge filter which I cleaned today (not related to issue as I cleaned the filter after finding the broken pump).

My question is: Is a 5 year old pump worth fixing or should I just pony up the $240 to buy a new one? I'm handy but don't have tons of free time and have never rebuilt a motor.

rphpool

Mar 4, 2015
Sugar Land , TX
Just a thought.
My booster pump requires that the pool pump be on also. Is this the case with yours? I know they said if mine was not synced it could burn up the booster pump.

OP
OP
R

rdmustang

Mar 20, 2012
Just a thought.
My booster pump requires that the pool pump be on also. Is this the case with yours? I know they said if mine was not synced it could burn up the booster pump.
Yes, my system requires that the main pump be on before it will allow the booster pump to engage. There are no problems with that.