May 29, 2020
Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi Folks,

I have a Polaris PB450 booster pump that I wrapped up and tried to drain but still ended up cracking (see below) from what I can tell it looks like it’s only the pump body. Is this correct? And can I just order this part and fix it myself?
Thanks for the help!
FC6E1C99-0BBB-4A4B-BECD-C0BD15BF1EE0.jpeg

Reactions: Gtoledanes
Your going to want to inspect the impeller and diffuser plate for cracks as well, and you will need to replace the mechanical seal. I would take the wet end apart and inspect everything so you can order everything you need at once.

Definitely a DIY repair. Just search for the parts Allen describes above and any time I have a pump apart I'd renew the seal and any other internals that may be cracked as Zea describes. I would get the parts on order soon as you may have a delay with limited supply from Covid exacerbated by the Texas deep freeze related demand.

Chris

Thanks everyone I removed all the plates and got to this part without any other signs of cracking. Anything else I should look for?image.jpg
Here is the mechanical seal does it really need to be replaced too? This pump is only a year old.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I have the same issue, I need the pump body (wet end)for my Polaris PB4SQ booster pump that is only 6 months old. Leslie’s does not have them in stock and I have not been able to find one - if anyone has a recommended source to get one please let us know where it is.

If it's true that misery likes company, I just discovered the same thing on my Pentair Whisperflo "water features" pump. Freeze protection and our standby generator saved the main filter pump. This one didn't come on in spite of freeze protection being turned on (it may not work for relay-connected pumps...I don't know.) Similar split to what you have. I may make a run at Pentair, since it's still under warranty. Not too hopeful, though. I also have a cheap Pentair booster pump that I don't use since switching to a robot. That pump had no problem.

No such luck online finding this part. I contacted Partswarehouse.com today as I ordered the part there and they said it was also on back order and they couldn’t tell me any ETA. Any other recommendations are appreciated.

Reactions: Pat60
Your signature shows you have a Dolphin robot. Guess not if you are trying to fix a booster pump.

You could go back to a robot. Cleans better, less electricity.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a Kreepy Krauly Letro Legend pressure side cleaner that the booster pump powered. I’m going to try to reach out the some of the pool repair companies around here too in case they have booster parts but if I can’t get that part I’m sure there’s probably a way to maybe remove that pump from the pool circuit for now until I get the part?

You can just plug off the suction side of the booster pump so you can run your filter pump.

Just came across this thread. I have the exact same issue. Not having taken apart my PB4SQ booster pump yet, not sure if I have more damage, but the housing is cracked (picture attached). Leslies website has the part listed, but out of stock. INYO same thing, notes out of stock for the season. Can’t seem to find it anywhere else.

If you come across the part, let me know 🤪

Some sites seem to sell the entire pump for $500ish. I got a quote from a local company that can do the install for $700ish (parts and labor, 2 year warranty). Maybe time to cap it off (loop it) and go robot. I’ve probably got a little time before the temps warm up, would just prefer to get my water moving sooner than later.

Attachments

• 3343D6F1-FFD5-45DC-B9EB-8A2A2182ABA7.jpeg
    3343D6F1-FFD5-45DC-B9EB-8A2A2182ABA7.jpeg
    561.6 KB · Views: 50
Just came across this thread. I have the exact same issue. Not having taken apart my PB4SQ booster pump yet, not sure if I have more damage, but the housing is cracked (picture attached). Leslies website has the part listed, but out of stock. INYO same thing, notes out of stock for the season. Can’t seem to find it anywhere else.

If you come across the part, let me know 🤪

Some sites seem to sell the entire pump for $500ish. I got a quote from a local company that can do the install for $700ish (parts and labor, 2 year warranty). Maybe time to cap it off (loop it) and go robot. I’ve probably got a little time before the temps warm up, would just prefer to get my water moving sooner than later.

Forget it and buy the robot it’s basically $100 upgrade. But I just got my new toy delivered today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 31
Your signature shows you have a Dolphin robot. Guess not if you are trying to fix a booster pump.

You could go back to a robot. Cleans better, less electricity.
I have the same problem everyone else is having. Cracked faceplate (housing). Builder wanted to charge $700 to replace pump. I can do it myself but no parts available. So, question is, what is a Dolphin robot? Does it not use a booster pump?

Pool robots are cleaners that do not attach to the pool's plumbing system. The have their own motor for propulsion and plug into an outlet for power. They are nice to have and can help circulate the water to mix in chlorine if your pump goes out. Everyone has their preferences, but the Dolphin pool cleaner is a popular one.

@Gtoledanes, any time you touch the mechanical shaft seal it needs to be replaced. They are far more delicate than they look! They don't have to have visible damage to fail. In the future if you have to install a new one do not touch the flat surface of the seal with your fingers as it will cause the seal to fail prematurely.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.