Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hello,
I’m installing a In ground polymer pool with vinyl over steel steps. How do I bond the steel steps in the pool?
Thanks,
Joe

Bond the water which bonds the steel in the water.

Bond the water which bonds the steel in the water.

No...He is doing vinyl liner over the steel steps. Unless he develops a leak...the water should never come in contact with the steel in the steps.

You will need to attach bonding lugs to the steel step pannels and attach your 8 gauge copper wire to the bonding lugs. You also need to bond the water and if you have a stainless ladder in the pool...that should work for that, just bond the ladder. I think it has to be 8 or 9 square inches of metal in contact with the water.

Will do and thank you.
Do I have to bond the rebar used to pin the polymer pool panels?

That is a good question...I don't think I have ever seen any info on that topic. I am guessing no...but I would like to hear from an expert since I am about to undertake the same project.

Here is a good read to give you an overview of the whole process.

Thank you for the article. Hopefully someone will chime in.

I'm not an expert but very familiar with bonding.
I believe the rebar does have to be bonded regardless of vinyl lining.

The rebar in the pool deck for sure does...he is talking about the rebar pins that are used to hold the bottom of the walls in place. I have never seen pics or heard of anyone bonding those.

Reactions: borjis
Thank you duc, bor and aj for reaching out to jimmy.
Does the rebar and metal stake have to be bonded. It’s a polymer panel pool. I’ve attached a picture of the two.

Attachments

• 7DFF6F41-F88F-4833-B614-5AC7C76FFBDB.jpeg
    7DFF6F41-F88F-4833-B614-5AC7C76FFBDB.jpeg
    476 KB · Views: 12
  • 8E54523B-5A06-4271-BACE-4E3B72711F15.jpeg
    8E54523B-5A06-4271-BACE-4E3B72711F15.jpeg
    586.3 KB · Views: 12

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just so I’m not confused. Bonding attaches to anything metal within 5 feet of the water and also pump, heater, SWG?

Anything with a bonding lug
Heater
Pump
Automation panel
Light niche
Steel wall pool in 4 spots.
Rebar in concrete deck 4 spots (rebar must be wire tied)
A #8 ring around any pool deck of pavers or tile 18-24" out (ring must have 4 or more equally spaced tie backs to the steel pool panels)
Any handrails or ladders
UL listed Jbox
Anything metal within 5ft of pool
(FYI some inspectors actually look for the DB stamp on the lugs that will be buried. These are called direct burial, look the same as regular ones, but have the stamp)
I think that's everything......

Last edited:
Anything with a bonding lug
Heater
Pump
Automation panel
Light niche
Steel wall pool in 4 spots.
Rebar in concrete deck 4 spots
A #8 ring around any pool deck of pavers or tile 18-24" out
Any handrails or ladders
UL listed Jbox
Anything metal within 5ft of pool
I think that's everything
Wow. Well put Jimmy. Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.