Bonding Intex

Intex pools are sold as portable pools and that's the reason bonding isn't required. There's also a requirement that you unplug all electrical equipment before anyone entering the pool. However, now that you've upgraded to a permanently installed pump, it would be a good idea to bond all the electrical equipment as well as the pool frame.

There have been several people who have bolted a bonding to four places around the frame and bonded the pool and equipment just like a regular pool.

I'm not going to tell you that it's ok, but that's the recommendation of Intex in their manual. Whether it's their equipment or a different equipment makes no difference.

P.S. Just to muddy the water! (Pun Intended) :mrgreen: Some localities require all pools to be bonded whether they're meant to be or not.

Code says any pool with greater than 42" of water needs to be bonded. For most Intex pools that would mean bonding the water and the earth around the pool. Also any metal framed ladders. If you have a non Intex pump or equipment that should also be bonded. It might not be required in your local area but there is nothing that's says you can't do more than required.

In this case bonding is connecting the components of a pool together with an electrically conductive path. In the case of pools that path is #8 solid bare copper wire (#6 wire if you are in Canada eh). The goal of the bonding everything together is to keep all the parts of the grid at the same electrical potential (Voltage). If everything is at the same potential then current can't flow. If current can't flow you can't get electrocuted.
The bonding grid is basically a safety net in the event something goes wrong with the electricity around your pool. You don't ever want to really use the safety net but it's there just in case you need it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you ever figure out the proper way to bond this type of pool? Everyone saying bond in 4 places for these pools (not this thread specifically but others I have come across on here) don't seem to understand its hardware.

This pool uses plastic pins to connect each rail and also has plastic on each rail end, AND plastic feet.. so how does bonding 4 seperate legs bond the pool frame entirely? Or how does bonding the frame do anything at all? Im not an electrician so maybe im just not comprehending it all clearly. Bird on a wire sts.

Do you have an intex pool?

Here are the threads I looked over having an intex pump myself and the same question.

pumps should not be running while people are in the pool

Can I swim while the filter pump is running?

It seems the mfg doesn't recommend it, but no one seems to know if it's due to entrapment, or hair getting caught in basic pump setup with no skimmer, or due to electrical safety, or just an extra safety net of legal protection for the company in case something does go wrong.

You are probably better off starting a new thread and tell your setup to hear others thoughts. But it's best to look and see what your pool and specific filter manual recommends.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.