Bonding Contempra Above Ground Pool

Jun 18, 2020
Sioux Falls SD
Does anyone have a Contempra above ground pool and had an electrical inspection?
I recently had an electrician install an outlet for the filter pump and hardwire the heater. The electrician hadn't worked with the South Dakota state inspector in our area, so he contacted the inspector to clarify how this inspector interprets the "code."
My electrician thought the pool would need bonded in the traditional manner (water, filter pump, heater and pool at 4 locations with wire ran around perimeter of pool). But he asked the inspector just to be sure. The inspector said that will work unless the pool was built in sections. If built in sections, then every section and piece will need bonded. Of course the inspector didn't elaborate on what he meant by sections so now my electrician and I are not 100% sure what the inspector wants for bonding.
The Contempra is a metal walled pool, one piece and all the supports, top & bottom rails, outside plates, and top plates for each "section" are metal too...so it seems like it will only need bonded in the usual, traditional method.
However, I'm concerned the inspector may want every section and piece bonded which would totally ruin the beautiful finish of the Contempra pool.
Please tell me someone has this pool and had it pass inspection with the traditional above ground pool bonding method....anyone?
😊

AJ.A

Jun 19, 2020
NE Ohio
The only thing I could think that he means with "sections" would be maybe a wall that had many wall panels that needed to be bolted together instead of one continuous metal wall. Maybe you should call him back and ask that question? Keep in mind it is up to that inspector to pass or fail you so what he may say could be different from what an inspector in another area may say. Unless you want to argue the NEC code and he somehow changes his mind :)

I think you are fine bonding the traditional way with that pool - 4 evenly spaced bonding lugs, wire ran around the perimeter of the pool and bond the water, pump, heater any other additional equipment you have around your pool.

Reactions: cjrabvgrndnorth
Jun 18, 2020
Sioux Falls SD
The only thing I could think that he means with "sections" would be maybe a wall that had many wall panels that needed to be bolted together instead of one continuous metal wall. Maybe you should call him back and ask that question? Keep in mind it is up to that inspector to pass or fail you so what he may say could be different from what an inspector in another area may say. Unless you want to argue the NEC code and he somehow changes his mind :)

I think you are fine bonding the traditional way with that pool - 4 evenly spaced bonding lugs, wire ran around the perimeter of the pool and bond the water, pump, heater any other additional equipment you have around your pool.

Yeah, I did find on Google, there are aluminum above ground pools made in sections. Hopefully that's what he was referring to.
I did ask for clarification on sectioned pools and the inspector replied with "I told the electrician what to do, thank you". The permit is thru the electricians company so I don't think the inspector can respond to my inquiries.
Idk, it's like the electrician can't know for sure until it's inspected and is unwilling or scared to ask more questions to get it right and tight before inspection...which is really frustrating and potentially a waste of time and money. Wish there were some recourse for the homeowner on this situation.
Ha! I don't think the inspector will be open to arguing about NEC code.

AJ.A

Jun 19, 2020
NE Ohio
I think you will be fine just having your electrician do it how the code writes it - I don't know why the inspector has to be so difficult - they should want you to succeed not fail! Good luck!

Reactions: cjrabvgrndnorth