Bonding an above ground pool questions

Jul 1, 2015
Fremont OH
I'm getting started on finally finishing the pool installation and getting going for the year. My next project is getting the pool bonded. I've done a fair bit of reading, but I wanted to run my plan past the smart people at TFP just to make sure I'm doing this right. Local regulations are non-existent, and there are no inspections to worry about.

I have an Sharkline Matrix, 18x33 pool. Plastic lower track, metal walls, plastic top rails. It is partially encircled by a deck, topped with composite boards, and no metal anywhere, other than fasteners in the deck. I'm planning on running a length of #8 wire all around the pool, connecting to both the heater and pump. I'm also going to bond the water with this fitting:

https://www.amazon.com/Perma-Cast-PB2008-Water-Bonding-Fitting/dp/B00MGK1AX8/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i1?_encoding=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B00MGK1AX8&pd_rd_r=BWNDJBEWG5SEJK6BGNP0&pd_rd_w=nMHvG&pd_rd_wg=Yv35S&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=1R38AKP5AZTZ7KTZAFW0&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2a4fafb6-9fdc-425a-aee8-c82daa7b18ed&pf_rd_i=desktop

And I'll connect to the wall with these:

https://www.amazon.com/Morris-Products-Direct-Connector-Conductors/dp/B005GDFV8C/ref=pd_bxgy_86_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B005GDFV8C&pd_rd_r=60YEQ38JQ2574ZN83FRA&pd_rd_w=ORzaT&pd_rd_wg=c6klt&psc=1&refRID=60YEQ38JQ2574ZN83FRA

Does that sound pretty good?

Questions:

Does the wire need to be buried even where it is under the deck? I can get under the deck to work, but it's not pleasant. I'd prefer to just let it lay on the ground where it's under the deck.

I know I need to connect to the wall in 4 different places for redundancy. Do those 4 spots have to be spread out, or can they all be in the same place? I have 4 buttresses for the long side walls with easy access under the deck, and it would be the simplest and most cosmetic place to hook up.

What about a light? I have a Pentair Aqualuminator that I'm going to put in. Plug that into a GFCI and call it a day? Is the pump supposed to be on a GFCI too? Seems like a 1 hp pump kicking on would occasionally trip a GFCI?

Thanks!

I have the same light and running a 1 1/2 hp pump.Those 2 are on a GFCI outlet.Never had one time where it tripped.first year I had the pump run 24/7 until I decided to scale back to only 8 hrs a day and still no tripping with the on/off cycle.
Always need GFCI near water
Not sure how mine is bonded ,runs under rock, but pump has ground cable

So far it sounds like a good plan for the bonding.

The wire should be buried the entire way around the pool. Connecting to the 4 end buttresses is a good place. That's where mine is connected. The 4 points should be spread out as equally around the pool as you can get to create an equal potential grid. The 4 points aren't for redundancy the more bonding points you have the less potential difference in voltage between those points. You can go crazy but 4 points is good enough.

Read the instructions for your like if they don't specifically say it should be bonded don't bond it. GFCI is a must for the light.

GFCI is a must for the pump as well. The only reason a pump will trip a GFCI is if there is a problem with the pump or how it was wired. There should be at least 2 separate 20amp GFCI protected circuits at your equipment pad.

Most AGP lights do not require bonding as CJ states above read the installation instructions.

The Sharkline Matrix is a almost all resin pool. All resin except the metal walls. The uprights are resin. Don't connect to them. So I would use machine screws to connect the bonding lugs very low on the walls. Where the cove protects the liner.

I think it's best pratice to have two separate GFCI curcuits for an AGP but not required by the code. Check your pump installation manual it may require its own curcuit.

Thanks for the info so far.

My uprights are metal, so I'm going to connect to those.

Why does it need buried all around the pool? I understand why it needs to be buried where people can see/access/trip/etc, but it still needs buried under the deck as well? That's gonna be a pain...

Thanks again.

The reason you bury the wire is to achieve good contact with the earth so that the electrical potential is able to get carried by the wire. You don't have to go crazy with a trench about 3 inches down/cover is plenty. Normally its best to run the bonding wire when the site prep is being done before the pool is up so issues like working under and around obstructions are minimal.

Its arguable that the pool wall only has to be attached to the bonding grid in one place. The 4 connections language is in 680.26 B 2 and provides that the reenforcing steel or copper conductor grid must be bonded to the perimeter surface in 4 locations. They are talking Gunite pools. A metal walled pool is covered under 680.26 B 3 or 5 metal structural components or metal fittings.

Drilling into the metal wall and attaching a bonding lug will not void the warranty because the pool instructions tell you to bond the pool in accordance with the NEC. Moreover complying with code will not void a warranty.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.