Bonding above ground pool composite deck

Kreager

May 14, 2020
Maryland
Finished up an above ground pool deck made of wood with composite decking. The pool is bonded per regulation (installed last year) but now I’m getting a small shock when I walk on the deck then touch the water. This was never the case before the deck. I believe I may need to bond the pool to the deck to complete the voltage between the 2 objects (pool, pool accessories and deck). I do have an electrician coming by next week, but I was wondering how you would bond a wooden structure? The only metal are joist hangers and anchors in the cement footers. There are no electrical outlets on the deck, and the shocks continue even after the breaker is shut off in the house. Any help would be great.
Thank you
Matt

Hmm I'm not the best person to answer this but I wonder if your building static electricity on the composite decking. One way to know is walk on the deck like you know you would get a shock on the water but touch something metal instead.

Hmm I'm not the best person to answer this but I wonder if your building static electricity on the composite decking. One way to know is walk on the deck like you know you would get a shock on the water but touch something metal instead.
Thank you for your quick replay, yes I can actually touch the metal on the pool supports and not get shocked. But I should check on this a little more as I was so focused on the shock at the water level.

View this and see how Mike Holt checks bonding...

Last edited:
Reactions: sammckin
Just an update, I’ve spent most of the day researching composite decking and static electricity. Seems to be very easy to find people with this same issue. Found out a few things that probably won’t work so I’m not going to even waste the time and money on bonding the deck or better yet the composite decking, just isn’t going to work.

It does look as though as time goes by the static electricity seems to lesson, this is good to hear. So I did some experiments this afternoon.

I found that the shocks would only happen when you wore rubber soled shoes. No shock with bare feet or socks and this was replicating the same shuffling technique I did with the sneakers on. I also noticed that the deck I built in Oct 2019 (that’s connected to this deck) has a very little shock, almost not there. This does lead me to believe that in time the shocks will dissipate (hoping anyway). I did notice that when the shocks occurred it wasn’t just when I touched the water but also when I touched the metal siding Of the pool (good to know, made me see a pattern occurring)

I have a feeling just adding water to the deck will also eliminate the static with rubber soles shoes, didn’t try it but just thinking Out loud.

Thank you all for your help and I hope this helps a future composite deck static electricity shock victim.
Matt

My initial thought when I read 'composite decking', was static buildup. New composite decking has a pretty good tendency to build up static.

You could try an anti-static strap from the deck to the ground, but even that may not help. Especially since you'd have to connect it to each 'board' on the deck.

You're thinking about spraying or splashing a little water on the deck is spot on as it will dissipate the static.

Reactions: Kreager
My initial thought when I read 'composite decking', was static buildup. New composite decking has a pretty good tendency to build up static.

You could try an anti-static strap from the deck to the ground, but even that may not help. Especially since you'd have to connect it to each 'board' on the deck.

You're thinking about spraying or splashing a little water on the deck is spot in as it will dissipate the static.

I have a feeling this time next year the static will have dissipated (hoping anyway). On a good note there are ways around it. It’s good to know about the static electricity and composite decking moving forward. Now we need some warm weather so we can wet the deck and have some fun.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.