Bond Kote vs 2 Layers of Diamond Brite

Dave2590

Nov 19, 2014
Homosassa, Florida
I have two estimates to refinish my pool. I've been told I have the original marcite finish over gunite. Not sure when the marcite was installed. I only know that the house was built in 1992. The two contractors disagree with regard to how the new finish of Diamond Brite will adhere to the pool walls and floor. One with about 10 years in business uses bond kote made by SGM first and then applies the Diamond Brite over it. The other with 32 years in business says that he tried Bond Kote and had trouble with it so he went back to the way he had always done pools which is to put on a first scratch coat of Diamond Brite and then another coat of Diamond Brite over it. Both guys have rave reviews. I've already signed a contract with the guy with 32 years experience who I trust but have not made a deposit yet. I'm sure theres more than one way to do this job. Please advise.

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Me? I would chip out the old stuff and start over with all new. This is the best thing to do in the long run. It does cost more up front but it is going to cost someone down the road to chip out TWO or more layers the next time it needs to be done. I will call in a couple of people who may have some ideas about your options. @ajw22 @jimmythegreek

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
@bdavis466 thoughts?

My pools have been replastered using a bond coat.

I can’t think of how chemically and structurally two coats of Diamond Brite are better then one with a bond coat.

bdavis466

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
Aug 4, 2014
San Clemente, CA
Chip it out and go with BaseCrete. Two coats of plaster sounds like something a hack would do...

Reactions: proavia

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Chip it out and go with BaseCrete. Two coats of plaster sounds like something a hack would do...

Listen to this guy. He is a master pool builder so you can take his words to the bank.

Kim:kim:

jimmythegreek

TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 10, 2017
Morris Cnty NJ
2 coats on old is a recipe for disaster. Whenever you apply a anything over a substrate your end product is only as good as what's underneath. Do you trust old plaster to be fully bonded and support the new for another 20 yrs? I dont and I haven't seen your pool. If you want a top quality finish chip it all out use a quality bond coat and then your finish choice. Base crete is good stuff there are a few others as well. Having good reviews is great but it doesnt mean those reviews cover all aspects of the different trades. Nothing is better with any plaster job other than starting with a properly prepped cementatious base

Reactions: kimkats