blue water but can't see deep end - low end is now visible

Jun 4, 2007
New Jersey
Update on subject: Cloudy Blue Pool
Hi, After opening my pool 2 weeks ago and lots of advise from you guys, my pool is now blue and visible in some areas. I received my TFP 100 Test Kit today, Here's my reading:
FC - 9.0
cc - 1.5
tc - 10.5
ta - 80
ch - 100
ph between 7.0-7.2 not sure
cya - could not get the black dot to disappear

Since I'm aiming for 15ppm FC overnight, I added 4 gallons of ultra chlorine 6% tonight.

After vacuuming to waste today and then putting the filter to backwash, when I return it to run on filter(since I'm doing 24/7)now I notice I have very little pressure coming out of my return line. When I listen to the water coming in at the return line I hear a gulp sound. The pressure is at 0 on the timer. Did I blow something out by getting all that junk out today. How do I get my filter to give good suction.
p.s. I only have 1 return line

Great progress!

You should check the skimmer basket and the pump strainer basket to make sure both are clear. A clog in either place from vacuming would keep water from flowing.

It is time to start bringing your CYA level up. I suggest you put two or three pounds of CYA (sometimes call stabalizer) in a sock and hang it near a return jet. You will probably need much more than that but it is good to bring it up slowly so you don't overshoot.

I got a reading of 14 fc overnight. Great progress for someone that couldn't keep chlorine in overnight.
The skimmer basket and pump strainer basket is empty. No suction at all in the skimmer basket and strainer basket area is holding water well. But at the return line, very little pressure moving water out. I turned off pump until I can understand what to do next. Major setback for my now clear blue pool in some areas. Help!!!!

You could try inserting a garden hose into the inlet pipe at the pump strainer basket, with the pump off, and see if you can blow the clog back through the skimmer. It might make a little bit of a mess though. You might want to block the skimmer inlet when you try this.

If a plain garden hose doesn't do it you could try using a Drain King, picture, to push the clog through. Open up the pump strainer basket and see if you can fit it into the pipe from there. If you can't, leave the strainer basket open and put it in from the skimmer end and see if that works.

That's so cool, That you were able to get this problem solved and physically conduct the resolution. I read this forum top-to-bottom everyday and am continually amazed at the success that people with questions get practical answers that actually help solve their problems. I'm only in the build stage for our new pool, but I feel that nothing can keep me from having the "Trouble Free Pool" that I want due to the expertise exhibited on this forum.

Thanks everyone and all!
I will now step down from the soapbox and return to lurker mode.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Poolhelp,

I saw your post indicating you have a TF 100 Test Kit but I can't locate having shipped one to you. I'm concerned my records are innaccurate.

Would you please PM me the email address you used to order so I can get it straightened out? TIA

Pool looking much better. Water visible, still need a couple more vacuuming in the deep end to remove the rest of debris/leaves. Here are my numbers as of this morning:
fc 12
cc 1
tc 13
ph 7.2
t/a 100
ch 190
cya 0 - I have pucks in the skimmer basket and in a floater basket for a couple of days now.

Do I need to adjust anything?

poolhelp said:
Pool looking much better. Water visible, still need a couple more vacuuming in the deep end to remove the rest of debris/leaves. Here are my numbers as of this morning:
fc 12
cc 1
tc 13
ph 7.2
t/a 100
ch 190
cya 0 - I have pucks in the skimmer basket and in a floater basket for a couple of days now.

Do I need to adjust anything?

Poolhelp, you need some CYA so your chlorine won't get burned off by the sun. My bet is if you tested right now, your chlorine would be down a bunch and virtually gone by this evening.

You can only get the pool really clear by keeping your Chlorine level CONSTANTLY above 15 or so....virtually impossible without CYA.

poolhelp said:
I already have the pucks in the skimmer basket - It has been about 3 days now. To get some cya real fast, should I run out and buy a couple di-chlor instead? How many would I need for my pool size of 33,000 gallon? Thanks,
Nope, you should buy CYA seperately in the 4lb containers @ HD/Lowe's or pool store. Di-chlor isn't right for your situation (nor are the pucks) if your CYA is zero. 8lbs of CYA will get you close to 30-35ppm.

If you get 12 lbs of dichlor and use that to maintain shock level at whatever rate is required that will bring your CYA up to about 30 quite quickly, which is a good place for it to be. Each pound of dichlor will raise you chlorine by about 2 and your CYA by 1.8. If you only use 12 lbs of dichlor and stop using pucks in the next few days your CYA will probably be close to idea. If you go this way you will also need to add something to bring your PH up a bit, grab a box of 20 mule team borax and add about 1/4 of it now and then keep an eye on your PH while you are adding the dichlor.

[EDIT]You could instead go with CYA as duraleigh suggested. That saves the trouble of worrying about the PH but will take a little longer.

Aside: I doubt that CYA is really zero. Several pucks at a time for a couple of days will have started bring up CYA already. It is prety much impossible to test for CYA below 20, and not very reliable below 30, so there could easily be as much as 15 and still read at zero, though 5 or 10 is more likely. If they were 8 oz pucks they will each add about 1 ppm of CYA in 33,000 gallons. I don't know how many pucks you have used so far.[/EDIT]

Duraleigh,
When I go to my Lowe's/Leslie's store, is the product called CYA? Is it in powder form? How soon after, can I test for cya?
Jasonlion,
Almost all of the 10 pucks I placed in skimmer basket are disolved now. But, I'm probably not getting a reading since I'm constantly backwashing. Does that sound correct?

I have a big bucket of pucks, what is it good for, if it doesn't help your cya?

I picked up a 8lb container of CYA from Leslie's. It said to not clean the skimmer in the next 72 hours. With still fighting to clean dead leaves in the deep end of the pool, it is impossible to not clean the skimmer basket and backwash. I think I'm going to return it tomorrow and purchase the 12 lbs of dichlor shock instead. Can I add all 12lbs dichlor at the same time?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.