Blue 6x6 pool tile recommendations?

RichTJ99

Gold Supporter
Sep 16, 2016
Katonah NY
Hi,

So I am all signed up for an 4/2019 renovation - paint removal, tile removal, new plaster (diamondbrite - super blue I think).

Attached is a photo of my pool currently.

The tile I have now is a mosiac style (I think) - each spring I open the pool & they fall off, I buy the epoxy and paste it on - every year is a fight.

While I love the look of the glass - a 1x2 or 1x1 isnt something I want to deal with. Do they make a solid 6x6 glass that looks like smaller pieces?

My pool builder gave me three magazines to order samples from:

Classic Pool Tile & Stone - cptns.com
United Pool Tile - unitedpooltile.com
"Tile collection" nptpool.com

I am leaning towards a darker blue - any recommendations or suggestions would be great.

2016-09-16 12.03.48.jpg
pool (4).jpg

Thanks,
Rich

Attachments

• 2017-08-17 16.23.16.jpg
    2017-08-17 16.23.16.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
I have to say I love your current tile. It is so pretty! I am sure you are ready for new though so.............

I have not seen any glass 6x6. I have seen polished ceramic though. There are some very pretty blue tiles in all of those sites you posted. Do you really want glass in the 6x6 size? What are you looking for with the glass? The bling???? I am trying to get in your head so I can do a good search for your tile.

Kim:kim:

So its not that I dont like the current tile - though its a little dated - its that my 'thought' is the maintenance of 'sticking' 6x6's on each year will be much easier than 1x1 glass tiles. Now i would like glass tiles & I am envisioning a 6x6 made to look like 1x1's or 1x2's.

So not this: Handmade Encaustic Cement Tiles Atlas Light Gray As the color is wrong but something larger that has a design or pattern? Conceptually 'a' pattern might be nice.

I would like some bling - and maybe the idea would be to have blue 6x6 tiles with a 'special' blingly 6x6 mixed in every 10 tiles (or whatever).

Or someone can talk me out of why I shouldnt get the smaller tiles. In a perfect Florida weather area where the pool is open all year - I would love to get blingy glass (blue) but with my experience ove the last 6 years of owning a pool - the mosaic style is a challenge to keep on the wall every year.

Here's a different take on your question. The idea of 1x2 tiles can be replicated on a larger scale with tiles such as 3 x 6 or 3 x 12 in a running bond pattern, like subway tiles. You get some of the look with fewer tiles to pop. I've only had two small pieces of tiles crack and fall off in MD in 6 years thankfully. But no way I'd go with 1x2 in a freezing climate. I'd be too nervous.

Greek Myth - Noble Tile Supply

Here's a different take on your question. The idea of 1x2 tiles can be replicated on a larger scale with tiles such as 3 x 6 or 3 x 12 in a running bond pattern, like subway tiles. You get some of the look with fewer tiles to pop. I've only had two small pieces of tiles crack and fall off in MD in 6 years thankfully. But no way I'd go with 1x2 in a freezing climate. I'd be too nervous.

http://nobletile.com/greek-myth/

Oh I like these!!!

Hi,

So I had a few samples come - I didnt love any of them but i thought the NPT Blue Seas - Light Blue with a Light Blue deco maybe every 3-6 feet was nice.

I reached out the the PB as they said they had some common blues they have used but I still dont have any samples. Not great communication from the PB in the winter in NY - I think they are in Florida.

I wouldnt be against something similar to what I have now in terms of coloring. Though I really didnt like this one: Series: Martinique I thought I would but it was very dark in person.

I definitely need some help! Spend my money & get me something great!

Attachments

• IMG_20190206_192658.jpg
    IMG_20190206_192658.jpg
    610.1 KB · Views: 26
So I did like it but my wife decided on the attached. So I guess I also decided on the attached.

The mosaic tile is my old tile, the square tile is my old spa tile.

The 6x6 is similar to what we had - so I guess thats good?

Attachments

• IMG_20190305_153104.jpg
    IMG_20190305_153104.jpg
    566.5 KB · Views: 35
That is pretty!!! Is it there yet? When it gets to your house open the boxes and go through them. With this tile there may be some that are "ugly". Pull those out to be used for cutting if needed. If you want to go all the way with control then you could lay them out where you want them on the pool. We have seen where the installers do some weird things like putting all of the dark ones together and such. They ended up redoing that one :roll:

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.