Blown Intellitouch iLink

ogdento

Bronze Supporter
Mar 30, 2015
Chico, CA
Not sure if anybody is still using these things but I had the opportunity to repair one after it was damaged in a Florida storm (see? I keep saying all the stuff blows up in Florida and Texas). Figured I'd do a quick write-up in case anybody else needs to fix one. The iLink units connect to the comm port on the intellitouch via rs485, and then to a pc (or some other automation system) via rs232, or a regular old serial port.

IMG_20221120_182655746.jpg

This particular unit was mounted indoors and hard-wired to the outdoor panel's comm port... there was a lightning strike which took out both the rs485 comm chip AND the rs232 serial chip, but miraculously everything else ended up being just fine.

I got the unit and plugged it into my lab supply so I could see how many mA it was drawing... I saw 43mA which seemed close enough to the other one I had (38mA). I connected it to the comm port on a test intellitouch board and it hit the 150mA current limit, which told me for sure that the rs485 chip was fried. I pulled and replaced the rs485 chip:

IMG_20221119_174051221.jpg
IMG_20221119_174631684.jpg

After that I tried to connect to it with a terminal emulator (I use Putty) and while I saw the rs485 LED flashing, I couldn't get anything in the terminal. Did a quick check of the rx/tx lines on the rs232 chip and they should have both been 5v, but one was only 0.6... so the rs232 chip was bad (it's a max232e). As a quick test, I pulled leg for the bad line, connected an external serial board and was able to talk to the board using Putty. Pulled the max232 chip and replaced it...

IMG_20221120_180031692.jpg
IMG_20221120_180936560.jpg

After replacing that chip (and repairing a pcb trace that pulled up), the board was fixed.

• Wow
Reactions: PoolStored
iLink was designed for third party automation namely Crestron, AMX, Control4, Vantage, Lutron which are high end systems. Great write up, especially the troubleshooting steps.

Last edited:
Reactions: ogdento
I was the AMX Repair Manager for about five years, back in the day when you had to be rich to own a touch screen display. Our customer's included people like Tiger Woods, Oprah, and many other big names.

Basically, got put out of business by the cell phone. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.