Blown GFCI outlet

Fishy1234

Bronze Supporter
Jul 6, 2018
326
Apple Valley, CA
Pool Size
21600
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My Pentair control panel has a 20amp gfci outlet that I keep the Polaris Robot plugged into. Last night I checked the spa. Pool, deck lights and they worked from the remote control. This morning I went to use the robot but no power.
So what I found out is the GFCI outlet press to reset button and metal pin behind the button came out and were on the ground. I'm thinking the robot shorted out, or maybe a light. Any advice would be appreciated.
 

Fishy1234

Bronze Supporter
Jul 6, 2018
326
Apple Valley, CA
Pool Size
21600
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Fishy,

It could be something blew it up, but it could have just failed. We see quite a few GFCI outlet failures.

What choice do you have but to replace it and see what happens.

Thanks,

Jim R.
This outlet has the wires pushed into the back and no screws for the wires. Is that a special outlet that I have to order from pentair?
I think I'll take the robot to the pool store and have them test it tomorrow. They recently replaced the motor and cable about 2 months ago.
 

Fishy1234

Bronze Supporter
Jul 6, 2018
326
Apple Valley, CA
Pool Size
21600
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Fishy,

It could be something blew it up, but it could have just failed. We see quite a few GFCI outlet failures.

What choice do you have but to replace it and see what happens.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I replaced the GFCI outlet and turned on all the lights. Everything works. The pool store tested the Robot and it is good. I have it plugged into the new outlet and running now.
So if everything is working right now, what could cause the old GFCI outlet blow out?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jimrahbe

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
27,094
Bedford, TX
Fishy,

Outlets come in all kinds of configurations, some have screws, so have push-in holes, and some have both. It is not a special Pentair GFCI outlet. You can buy a new one at your local Big Box store.

Not sure why yours went bad, but it is not all the unusual.

Thanks,

Jim R.
 
Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread