Blowing out pool lines Question -please help!!!

Hkim76

Mar 21, 2018
Germantown TN
Hi, I owned my pool 3 years now. I closed my pool first year and thinking that I dont have to do anything with pool when it was closed and also I thought I have to close the pool.

I was wrong in both counts. One I still had to clean leaves and get the water out from cover(not to mentioned it was so ugly too, I had a regular tarp with waterbags) and I do not have close the pool. So since then I did not close the pool.

I am replacing my pool liner this year due to leaks on liners on steps. Contractor drained my pool right below the steps so they could measure it accurately. Now that water is drained, I opt out not to filled the water because I still have to fill out water every 2-3 days because leaks on first step area.

SO, I decided to winterize my pool after watching lots of youtube videos except blowing out pool lines. when I hired someone to do first year, I watched him and he did not blow out lines either. At the time, I had no idea what he was supposed to do.

I am in Memphis, TN. It doesnt really get cold here. Today is high 52 low 30. It will be 30 between 5 AM to 9AM per forecast. We rarely get below 32 here.

So do I need to blow my pool lines?? Maybe is that why pool guy I hired did not blow my lines either??

Please let me know. I only have window of time to blow my lines if I needed too.

Thank you so much!!!

I am in Memphis, TN. It doesnt really get cold here. Today is high 52 low 30. It will be 30 between 5 AM to 9AM per forecast. We rarely get below 32 here.

So do I need to blow my pool lines?? Maybe is that why pool guy I hired did not blow my lines either??
You guy was probably going on the assumption that the pipes would not freeze. Which they probably won't. You can be around 30 for quite some time before the pipes would freeze solid enough to cause damage. And even then it would only be what is above ground or the first few inches of pipe below ground.

Now, with that all being said, and the fact that you have probably never been cold enough to damage your plumbing does not mean that they could never freeze. Especially with the violent weather changes/patterns that we get these days. Once a lifetime storms happen every few years now and you could have a 20 degree spell that lasts a week in a few weeks.

I would blow out the lines just to remove the chance. A shop vac with the hosed to the exhaust port is usually enough to clear most of the water in the lines.

The main thing is to be sure the drain plugs have been taken out of your pump, heater, and filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.