Blowing out plumbing - semi-inground - without reducing water level

marsui

Jun 12, 2016
West Babylon, NY
I covered my pool the other day, planning on taking care of the plumbing tomorrow. I really don't want to drain the pool anymore like I have been doing since I got it. I like the cover being higher, will be easier for the leaves, and draining just to blow out my lines and refilling seems pointless.

I have a skimmer cover that I haven't been using since I drain the water, I have one of those crush things for inside the skimmer which I throw in there just for extra precaution (but I always have the skimmer covered under the winter cover so no water gets in).

I have PVC plumbing, that goes underground, underground is flex PVC I believe, but above ground its ridgid PVC. Pump/Motor is about 10 feet away. My shop vac works wonders and I have had no issues blowing out my lines. I have a very simple set up. Just two pipes (maybe 20 feet total length each) have to blow out), and cap off. The skimmer is easy with the plate in place, I can just drain the water in there, and blow out that line. I have a rubber fitting for the pump connection side that seals that off.

The return is not easy. There is nothing to allow me to blow out the return line once its capped off inside the pool.

Any ideas as to how I can blow out the return line without lowering the water level? If I just blow from the pump side, and try to quickly cap it off as its blowing under the water, and then maybe try to vacuum whatever went back in the return? Does anyone make some kind of temporary dam that I can put around the return hole that will prevent water from getting to it so I can blow it out?

Please don't say just lower the water level, I know I can do that, but I don't want to. I might just try to cap it off and vacuum the water out with the shop vac first, but if anyone has any tricks that they have used to avoid lowering the water level that's what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance =)

• Love
Reactions: Newdude and marsui
I’m moving soon and the new house has a semi-inground. I’m pretty sure I’m going to use duck plugs and skimmer plug. Once I’m not needing the water at the mid faceplate level for skimming I’m going to raise it almost to the top and tarp it. If it works out IRL like it does in my head, there will only be 3 inches or so that can collect water and that should be much easier to drain. If *cough* when *cough* I get lazy it will drain itself if anymore than that collects.

• Haha
Reactions: marsui
Along with the Duck-Plug, the Bungee-Plug is another option serving the same purpose.

Thanks all, very helpful. I added those products to a document, but to tell you the truth, I put my shop vac under the water, blew out the return, and real quick while those was still in the hole, I removed it and plugged it. Then I used the shop vac to suck out any water that maybe have gotten in that split second, and it was really nothing. Even if a little water got it, there is room for it to freeze and expand without breaking the pipes.

but to tell you the truth, I put my shop vac under the water, blew out the return, and real quick while those was still in the hole, I removed it and plugged it. Then I used the shop vac to suck out any water that maybe have gotten in that split second, and it was really nothing. Even if a little water got it, there is room for it to freeze and expand without breaking the pipes.
Outstanding! :goodjob: Some owners aren't that fortunate with the length of plumbing and such, then a ShopVac just doesn't cut it. Sounds like you're all set. See you next season. :swim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.