Blocked skimmer return...

Feb 28, 2009
College Station, Texas USA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a blocked skimmer return. I have tried using CO2 to push it out from the pump intake end, and back to the skimmer. The gas bubbles come out at the skimmer (quite vigorously), but it does not dislodge the blockage. So, when I turn on the pump again, there is very little suction at the skimmer, and very little water coming into the basket at the pump. I can see where the gas may travel through the blockage easier than water...so, whatever this blockage is (a big shout out to my TX live oak trees!), it's not coming loose.

Is it safe to use some sort of plumbing snake that won't damage the PVC pipe? I am feeling I need to get more aggressive.

I have had luck with the following
1. placing a garden hose as far down the skimmer pipe as I can get and turning on the water
2. sealing around the hose
3. isolating all other suctions
4. Starting the pump
5. run the pump until it loses prime
6. valve in another suction to refill the pump (such as main drain or another skimmer line)
7. after pump filled and pumping good, isolate the other suction source
8. Repeat as necessary

This works to "pulse" the debris through the pump suction. since it looks like your getting through with your gas, I can't imagine that it's so blocked something like this won't work.

You could also go from the other direction. Take the top off of the valve for the skimmer line as it comes into the equipment pad, push a hose back down the pipe towards the skimmer, and try to push it out that way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.