I was planning to just fill it back in with the same dirt/sand that I had pulled out of it.
I don't have a lot of experience with household/pool pipe backfilling, but I worked in a power plant for over 30 years and we had a lot of buried piping. this may be overkill, but we always filled from 2 inches below the piping to 2 inches above the pipe with sand. We found that backfilling with natives soil, gravel or stone led to additional leaks. When there is flow thru the pipe, you get some vibration, eventually a stone against the pipe wears thru the pipe and you have a leak.

When my pool was installed , I insisted of packing the pipes in sand. Again, that may be overkill but it's cheap insurance.

Reactions: markayash
I don't have a lot of experience with household/pool pipe backfilling, but I worked in a power plant for over 30 years and we had a lot of buried piping. this may be overkill, but we always filled from 2 inches below the piping to 2 inches above the pipe with sand. We found that backfilling with natives soil, gravel or stone led to additional leaks. When there is flow thru the pipe, you get some vibration, eventually a stone against the pipe wears thru the pipe and you have a leak.

When my pool was installed , I insisted of packing the pipes in sand. Again, that may be overkill but it's cheap insurance.
When I replaced a piece of pvc for my main water feed I sprayed it with that flex Rubber spray stuff to help protect it.

I used to be a geotechnical field engineer. Anything I inspected - water mains, gas mains, storm drains, storm water detention systems, road culverts, etc was bedded in sand, for just the reason you describe.

Pool piping may be overkill, but it's not going to hurt either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.