Bleach

ant812

Apr 19, 2017
marlton/nj
I have to turn off my swg for 2 weeks while I try scale tec to remove scale(described in another thread). instead of using chlorine tabs, I was going to use bleach. is there anything I need to know before I do this? do I just use the Clorox I have in the laundry room? or is that not the correct stuff? I will use the pool math chart on this site for values.
also, if anyone knows....im using a jandy aquapure swg and its connected to an aqualink control panel. I don't see anywhere to turn the swg "off" as that's part of the directions on the scale tec label. is turning output down to 0% the equivalent to being considered "off"?

thanks in advance
anthony

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
Anthony,

Yes, turning the SWCG's output to zero is the same as turning it off...

yes, plain bleach, no scented or splash-less bleach..

Jim R.

ant812

Apr 19, 2017
marlton/nj
thanks for the reply. I went to lowes to pick up bleach. I wanted to get Clorox but they only had splashless so I got an off brand. I have to keep pool at 1.5-2 fc. I will try to keep as close as possible to high end. should I be calculating this as 8.25% or 7.86%? not that it will make a huge difference but I have slight ocd.

thanks
Anthony

IMG_2007.jpg

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
I would warn you that a FC of 1.5-2ppm is too low (really even for a SWG pool).
What is your CYA?
Use the [FC/CYA]chart[/FC/CYA] and use the non-SWG table while your SWG is out of commission.

ant812

Apr 19, 2017
marlton/nj
I would warn you that a FC of 1.5-2ppm is too low (really even for a SWG pool).
What is your CYA?
Use the [FC/CYA]chart[/FC/CYA] and use the non-SWG table while your SWG is out of commission.
I know it is. cya is 65-70. the product im using "scale tec" suggest 1.5 -2 chlorine level or the chlorine will render product ineffective. they suggest using algaecide while using product. believe me, I don't feel good about it but I feel worse about the scaling.

ant812

Apr 19, 2017
marlton/nj
Ah, understood. Although I put little faith in potions like that ;)
I hear ya but I don't have a whole lot of choices. figured Id throw $80 at it, and hope for a miracle that relieves me from scrubbing entire filled pool with a pumice stone. with that said, the scale is much better than it was, most likely due to me holding ph 7.0-7.2. just put the scale tec in Saturday morning so hoping that finishes it up.

Mar 15, 2017
Rocklin/CA
What do y'all prefer using between the box store bleaches vs. the HASA bleach? I see the Clorox 8.3% stuff at Costco going for $8.89 for 3 gallons & the 12.5% HASA stuff for $17.xx for the 4-pack.

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Use whatever is cheapest for the amount of chlorine that you get. There are a few calculators within the Forum that will do the math for you.

Other Threads of Interest