Bleach at WalMart - Too many choices - is this ok?

I am trying to find a supplier of bleach that is close enough to me that it's convenient enough that the bleach can be stored in my hot AZ summers. There are no HASA dealers close enough. I found this Clorox 7.5% at WalMart and am wondering if its ok for the pool. Appears unscented. Two links provided - one to the Clorox page and one to the Walmart page. This source of liquid chlorine would work better than other choices. If you don't think it works and want to search the Carefree AZ Walmart that would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Mdragger88

Bronze Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Hernando, Ms
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
You don’t want cloromax or fabric conditioners,scented, or splashless. This is getting harder to find in household bleach. Walmart sells pool essentials 10% liquid chlorine in the pool department.
75719BFB-A3E1-4FE3-A929-A600FD084857.jpeg

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
The Clorox bleach has Cloromax. That is a chlorine resistant polymer. If at all possible, do not use that. It can create foam, a sticky water line residue, and could gum up your filter. Limited use may be OK, but find a true no-additive liquid chlorine.

I guess I have to go in and look cause its not on their website for pickup and delivery. So are you saying there are no Chlorox products that work at this point, or other brands in household at Walmart?

You don’t want cloromax or fabric conditioners,scented, or splashless. This is getting harder to find in household bleach. Walmart sells pool essentials 10% liquid chlorine in the pool department.
View attachment 368099

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Ace Hardware in Payson has HTH liquid chlorine in stock according to the website.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Mdragger88

Bronze Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Hernando, Ms
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
I guess I have to go in and look cause its not on their website for pickup and delivery. So are you saying there are no Chlorox products that work at this point, or other brands in household at Walmart?
No to clorox -
Where i live there are no more unadulterated household bleaches available. It varies by region.
Generally the 10% in the pool /garden area is a better deal anyway - its hit or miss here getting it on grocery pick up but it’s usually in the store. I like that Walmart keeps it indoors.

setsailsoon

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Oct 25, 2015
Palm City/FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
Based on a quick search it looks like liquid chlorine must be very hard to get in your area at a reasonable price from big box stores. Where I could find any it appears price is over $10/gal. If I was in your situation I'd look at the following options:
  • Oil and Gas suppliers. Most sell 10% and higher for cleaning tools and equipment. Not all will sell to the public though.
  • Janitorial suppliers.
  • See if you can find where pool services buy. Or if they will sell you bulk.
  • End the jug-lugging hunt for chlorine that is getting priced like it's made of solid unaffordium and switch to salt. I can't believe the prices that came up over $10/gal. At these prices a salt pool has a payout comparable to a VS motor!
I hope this helps!

Chris

Ace Hardware is a no go due to price (they exclude chlorine from coupons). May as well go to Leslies. I can find it easily at Home Depot or Lowes but it may not be the most fresh and isn't the most convenient. Figured WalMart kept it inside and was more fresh. I am going to go in person today and see what I learn. Thanks for the inputs.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
What you linked to in your first post was 81 oz of 7.5% at $4.88 per. The Ace HTH was 1 gallon of 10% for $5.99 per. Way cheaper than the clorox.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Kevinr14

Silver Supporter
Mar 8, 2021
Chandler, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Do you have a fry's grocery store nearby? I found 2 gallons of 10% for $8 at mine. Fresh date, too