Blacklisted Pool Install

Sep 10, 2013
El Cajon CA
I have been a part of this forum for just under a year and have learned so much and have so much to learn still. My wife and I purchased a 15' Intex steel frame pool at the end of last summer. It was so hot at the time I figured it would be good to go just setting it up on the grass and hoping it would be level enough to get us through the rest of the heat wave and then I could do it right.

So this year has been busy as all can be and I'm behind the power curve with setting up the pool. I rented a sod cutter a couple weekends ago to get the progress started. A buddy and I cut the sod and used the sod cutter to "rough" level the ground the best we could before final leveling. I had to cut out close to a foot on the back side by the fence and the sod cutter worked great where the ground had some moisture in it. Where it was dry and rock like it didn't work as well but we managed to get most of the rough cut dirt out the first weekend. For the last week and a half I have been working on leveling the pavers for the legs a little at a time. Instead of attempting to level the site first I am putting in the pavers to the lowest point and working from there. I am using a water level to get the pavers to within 1/4-3/8" of each other and the "Golden/lowest" paver. What a pain! Once I get all the pavers leveled then I will chip out in between the pavers to get it leveled the best I can and then fill with sand to the paver level and tamp/pack the sand.

Questions I have, 1. With me using sand would it be advisable to put down the foam insulation on top of the sand or will I be fine with just the sand? I'm worried about the sand possibly moving around/washing out from under the pool. I live in southern California and we don't get much rain so I don't think I will have to worry about that too much. My thinking is that the foam will spread the load of foot steps etc. that could possibly happen in the sand. Is that possible or am I over thinking this?

Right now I have a 1200gph Intex Sand filter/pump that I got with a SWG/Filter/Pump combo last season for a great price. I am also working on how to get the SWG working with the Sand filter/pump and by passing the pump and filter on the SWG. I want to add the in wall strainer and hard plumb everything but that will be down the road a while. Right now I just want to get this thing up and running again.

This is what I have so far for pics, I didn't get a before picture but I have an old pic I will put in for reference.

The pool is going in strait behind the patio cover toward the fence.

A couple after the sod was removed and rough leveled with the sod cutter.

You can see where I need to get the level to in the middle back.

Setting out the brick and frame for placement

Sinking and leveling the pavers in the rock hard clay we call ground.

Getting there.

Looking good! I had to chuckle tho. You need a pic axe to dig in your hard clay. Here in NE Florida, if the sand is dry (which doesn't happen often) the biggest problem I had was loose sand filling the hole as fast as I scooped some out.:roll: If it's damp, it works some better.

I hate clay! When it's dry, it's like digging through a sidewalk and when it's wet, it sticks to everything!

Yeah, I lived in Munford, TN when I was a kid. Thick, sticky, gooey red clay. My dad got his Cadillac stuck a block from home one day. He came walking home, arms full of groceries from the commissary in his dress whites. Can you say "stained"?

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

I got the rest of the pavers leveled last night. I am going to get a truck load of sand and start leveling the ground in between the pavers. My thought with the ground in between the pavers is that it won't have to be perfect level and the sand will fill in the low spots after I chip out the rock hard ground. I hope to get most of the leveling completed this weekend and possibly get the sand in and leveled and tamped. Will update when I have more progress.

DG as fil/basel?

Please keep all pertinent information about your build in your build thread where everyone can view it and answer any questions you may have. Thanks Casey~

I'm in the middle of leveling and setting up our 15' steel frame pool. I was thinking of using sand to level the ground but found out that I can get 3/8" screened DG for about the same price and think this will be a better option. Has any one used DG as a base/leveler?

My thread is HERE with pics.

Thanks everyone.

Sorry Casey I will keep all questions in the tread.

So I'm hoping that the DG will make a better base than the sand would have. The guys at the rock yard said that a lot of people around this area use it for a base and that it should compact better than sand. Hope they are right.

It's good stuff. I'd of used it as my base but, I had a lot of things going on that I didn't use it. I wish I would have.

OK, got some more work done this weekend. I got most of the easier dirt out and leveled. There are a couple spots that are as hard as rock that I need to use the pick ax to break it up. I picked up a truckload of DG Friday hoping I would be able to put it down before the end of the weekend but didn't get to that point yet. I plan on renting a plate compactor to pack the DG when I get it down and leveled. A couple pics of the progress and how I did it. I used a 2x4 across the pavers that are all leveled to within 3/8" using a water level. I dug out so there are no high spots and tried to keep the depth under 1 1/2 or so. I just eyeballed it and didn't measure the depth. I figure if I have to get another load of DG it only cost me $28 for just over a yard of it.

Question- Since I'm using the DG as a base should I also put the foam down or will the DG be good enough? If I use the foam under the pool I have to put it under the legs as well correct?

Ok on to the pics.

My audience watching me work. They also think they are helping Dad by digging, but in the wrong spots! So it's been a love hate relationship lately.

My depth gauge across the pavers

Making progress

Looking better

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A buddy came over last night and we got the DG down and ready for the plate compactor tonight. When we walked on it, it seems to pack nicely. We did a test area where we used the hand tamper with some water and it did a good job but I will rent the compactor and do it right the first time. After we got it down and leveled I soaked it good with water to help compaction. This is a lot more work than I initially thought. Hope to have the pool up and started filling tonight.

The latest pics

So got it up, filled and enjoyed this past weekend. Decided not to use foam under the pool, just a heavy duty tarp. I hope I don't regret that decision but the DG compacted nice and smooth. I'm getting everything dialed in before I put the SWG on it. I have to patch a small hole and tidy up the back yard from all the stuff I had all over the place. So on to the pics.

After compaction

Pool set up and started filling

Finished and usable

Beautiful! I see all kinds of floaties but no one in the pool! Put down the camera and jump on in! You worked hard, it looks great now on to the fun!

Trust me we were in almost all weekend!

Looking at your waterline - that's an awesome job of levelling. Congrats!!

Thank you. Yes it was tedious and took forever it seemed like but well worth the effort to get it right this year.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.