Black water

mckeemc63

Jul 9, 2019
Cove, Arkansas
I'm new to pool ownership. In fact, I am filling my pool for the first time. Above ground 18x33x54". I'm on well water in the Ouachita Mountains in Arkansas. I have had my water tested and the only thing high was alkalinity (134). I have no way to test it but I do know that the manganese levels are extremely high. To the point of turning the water black when chlorine is added. It turns black instantly. Oh I forgot, Iron levels are 0.1ppm. My local pool supplier suggested Baquacil with Baquacils metal out. Keep in mind I have not tried it yet, but I just bought my first round and WOW it is pricey. Any suggestions on an alternative or a cheaper process?

Welcome to the forum!
You do not want to use Baquacil. Return it.
Manganese is a special concern. Do not see that here much. I am going to ask our chemistry expert to help out.
@JoyfulNoise -- what can this new member do about manganese in his fill water?
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.