Black grease in skimmer baskets

rbart61

May 1, 2020
Houston, TX
Hello, I am new to this site and forum. I found it when I Googled the black grease in skimmer basket topic. I am trying to figure out what is causing it. It’s been over a week since anybody has used the pool and it’s still getting in there. However, the users did use sunscreen but we used sunscreen last year and didn’t have the grease. Plus my son has a pool 5 blocks away and they use sunscreen and he’s not getting the grease. We have a lanai so the pool is covered. We have had a lot of oak tree seedlings land on top of lanai and when it rains some of the grit from them get in the pool. The only other thing that I have changed is I started using Algae Control per Leslie’s Pool Co’s suggestion when I had my water tested a few weeks ago. So what is everybody’s thoughts on the cause of the black grease?

I second the use of the Magic Eraser..

I think it is more oils and dirt than it is anything related to algae.

And to be clear.. I would not go into a Leslie's to even use their bathrooms.. :mrgreen:

You should read our pool school and see how we care for our pools without going to the Pool $tore..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: rbart61
I suggest it is 2-stoke motor exhaust from lawn and garden power tools, landing on your pool water surface and collecting in your skimmer(s).
What exactly is in your algae control product from the pool store? :deal:

Last edited:
I suggest it is 2-stoke motor exhaust from lawn and garden power tools, landing on you pool water surface and collecting in you skimmer(s).
What exactly is in your algae control product from the pool store? :deal:
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner. For the last two weeks I have been blowing pollen and seeds off of the lanai roof. I ran at least 2 tanks thru my Stihl 2 stroke blower. I think you are right on.

Reactions: Oly
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.