Black dirt like growth? Persistent but easy to disperse

Still have stuff in the pool, but not as much. A good bit of white stuff and black stuff at the bottom.

Is there an amount of chlorine that becomes a problem for the pool or equipment? I’m losing about 10ppm while at work. Can I goose it up to 26-28 in the morning so I stay above SLAM, or is that too high?

If you are doing the SLAM correctly, that stuff should be vacuumed/brushed up maybe twice daily.....at least once. That's a part of the process that's as important as the chlorine (well, almost)

Yeah I’ve had that enjoyable brush/vacuum/brush routine going for a week now. I don’t have a vac to waste, so my only option has been to do this and clean the filter every few days.

That’s really helpful. Thank you! Both for knowing someone else has faught the same stuff, but also to know how long to expect it to take.

Was sweeping, and found one area that didn’t disperse easily like the rest. Any cause for concern?
Will black algae adhere and not be able to be brushed off? But not dead algae? Can SLAM be done in a spa? I couldn't find directions for it on here.

So is the stuff coming right back after you vacuum or are you gaining on it?
Sorry I didn’t see the reply notification.

It’s coming back, but appears to be less. I’m a week in at plus 16 (usually mid 20s) and it seems to stick around.

I don’t have a vac to waste valve, but I’ve been cleaning the filter after each vacuum. Definitely irritating stuff.

Draddy,

What you describe sounds like dead algae. Keep doing what you are doing and I believe it will diminish to almost nothing over the next few days. Keep your chlorine up!

I am not a big fan of "vac to waste", anyway so let your filter do it's job. No need to backwash/clean until your psi increases 25%.

I keep having the same thing now...been happening for about a week. Water crystal clear, vacuum and it comes back. Frustrating.
I have the same thing going on...we have been SLAMing for 4 days now, and levels and water are looking really good, but the black stuff on the bottom is all over. Vacuumed to waste for the first time tonight and see there is some accumulation again so I’ll repeat tomorrow. We had thought the last couple years it was sand, but thinking now it’s been algae all along. Hoping to FINALLY eradicate it once and a for all! This pool ownership isn’t for the weak at times.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jamie a 14,

If you want help with the SLAM, start over with your own thread so Draddy can "own" this one.

I am not a fan of "vac to waste" in your situation.....normally, it wastes quite a bit of water and is not very effective. Start a new thread of your own and post your current SLAM test results and we'll help you get that pool crystal clear.

Jamie a 14,

If you want help with the SLAM, start over with your own thread so Draddy can "own" this one.

I am not a fan of "vac to waste" in your situation.....normally, it wastes quite a bit of water and is not very effective. Start a new thread of your own and post your current SLAM test results and we'll help you get that pool crystal clear.
I actually have my own, I was just chiming in so he knew he wasn’t alone?

Reactions: Draddy
I have the same thing going on...we have been SLAMing for 4 days now, and levels and water are looking really good, but the black stuff on the bottom is all over. Vacuumed to waste for the first time tonight and see there is some accumulation again so I’ll repeat tomorrow. We had thought the last couple years it was sand, but thinking now it’s been algae all along. Hoping to FINALLY eradicate it once and a for all! This pool ownership isn’t for the weak at times.

I am pretty sure mine is pollen. We have REALLY HIGH pollen counts by us. And when it rains, there is very little that accumulates on the bottom. I've been using skimmer socks since I noticed the black dirt like in the bottom, and I've had to empty it out 2-3 times a day because there's so much.

This place had been unbelievably helpful with my weird pool.

Have a new issue, any idea what this is? Of course my first panic was black algae, but this is easy to brush away with your foot.

But it comes back every day. Pool is balanced (will post screenshot). Last night i vacuumed, brushed then vacuumed again. And today it’s back at the same quantity as before.

Any idea what this is?

Video:

Can you tell me the name of the app that you are using to store the test results? Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.