Black Algae...no cya...and a pool that eats chlorine for lunch...

rn22lr

Apr 26, 2013
I know I have had a black algae problem for several years. Grown kids, an increasingly busy career......blah blah blah blah. So here I am trying to get the pool out of the clear but clearly having algae in every crevice.

Pool is a generous 15k gallons, probably plaster (best guess), SWG, DE filter. Nothing is automated, except the timer starting the pool pump. You want to change how much flow or intake.......walk over to the pool mechanics and start adjusting them.

Spent the last week adding liquid chlorine and brushing with some success but my low cya levels (dip stick shows none, pool store shows 40), many hours of direct sunlight and the algae has me zipping through the chlorine. Right before I started, I bumped the DE filter and adjusted the pH to 7.2.

Since last Saturday, I have brushed every day and went through 14 gallons of 10% bleach and 2 gallons of 6% bleach.

I added two more gallons of chlorine this morning waited 30 minutes then started the sock method adding 4lbs of cya. Frequent squeezing and attention..... the cya seems to be nearly dissolved.

When can I add more liquid chlorine/bleach safely?

Unfortunately..... I am using the pool store and dip kits. Let's just say.....after being married 28 years I know it isn't worth the argument with my husband.

Hopefully, you all can help me despite that handicap. Because it isn't getting fixed.... unless I hid a test kit :)

In all the time i have been here, nobody has been able to keep a clear pool without a proper test kit. You can :hammer: several times until he agrees to get the test kit. Good Luck!

You would start with a FC maintained at around 20% of your CYA. Brush brush brush.

Sigh. I wondered if the test kit would be a deal breaker when it came to getting help.

It is what it is....
Its not that we wont help you, its that we dont know where to help you if you dont give us some credible/reliable/repeatable numbers. Sorry that i didn't express myself better.

You are fighting a war but only fighting it defensively. Instead of using short range artillery, keeping your enemy at bay albeit without advancing, you need to go for the win. Fall back to orbit and nuke the entire site for morbid. In other words, you need more chlorine!

Reactions: Flying Tivo

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.