Bit of calcium

greatestvalue

Mar 12, 2022
Orcutt CA
Hi
Hope everyone is awesome.
I emptied my tub when leaving for 3 weeks, as well as it was its 3-4 month cleaning.

I found a bit of white substance, which I believe is calcium around the tub. My calcium level is always within limit when testing. There was no major substance, but before filling back up I would like to remove this.

I used a bit of vinegar/water and it does seem to be removing the light stuff.

I came looking for answers here and am curious with the information in the spa maintenance guide which states...

"On a weekly schedule, clean your spa jets and shell using a sponge with some white vinegar on it. This can be used to scrub away the scum line on the edge of the waterline as well.

Ensure you’re cleaning the inside if the hot tub as often as possible and wiping down the shell as well. While you’re in cleaning mode anyway, give your hot tub a quick once over using a 10% bleach solution. This works best to keep mildew at bay."

Is the suggestion above, that we should be using vinegar and/or bleach mixture in the water, while the tub is filled each week?

Thank you

Most jets & headrests can be removed to be cleaned if using vinegar while the tub is filled- perhaps that part should be edited.
The diluted bleach water will not harm anything. I generally just use a microfiber rag & wipe everything down with the chlorinated tub water without removing anything if the tub is filled. I don’t really experience a scum line issue.
What is your current ch?
To prevent scaling keep ph in the 7’s, lowering ta to 50/60 can help moderate ph rise. Along with adding borates after lowering ta.
Keeping csi slightly negative should help prevent scale.

Reactions: greatestvalue
Most jets & headrests can be removed to be cleaned if using vinegar while the tub is filled- perhaps that part should be edited.
The diluted bleach water will not harm anything. I generally just use a microfiber rag & wipe everything down with the chlorinated tub water without removing anything if the tub is filled. I don’t really experience a scum line issue.
What is your current ch?
To prevent scaling keep ph in the 7’s, lowering ta to 50/60 can help moderate ph rise. Along with adding borates after lowering ta.
Keeping csi slightly negative should help prevent scale.

MY CH was good prior to me emptying the tub.

PH must have be a bit high for my water at 7.8, based on what I am reading about the little bit of calcium that is appearing.

It seems at this point vinegar took care of most of it.

So I will start doing the weekly wipe down inside the shell while the tub is filled. In the meantime I will keep the PH lower than 7.8. Maybe add a tad of PH reducer when I fill, after testing if it isn't on the lower side to get it to 7.2 and and next time I empty I will see how it is.

I cant see this calcium buildup when the tub is filled, the water is extremely clear and soft.

If it’s building up on the shell it may also be building up in your heater.
Keeping csi neutral to slightly negative should prevent the issue.
Play around with all the parameters in PoolMath to see how they affect csi.

Reactions: greatestvalue
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.