Birds

hsmom

Jun 16, 2009
Hello,

My water looks great - lovin' the BBB method - the cottonwood finally stopped falling - all is well here EXCEPT for the birds. It seems that our pool is a perching, pooping, and bathing area for a certain couple of birds. I have begun to run my fountain all the time, as broad a spray as I can get - but it doesn't cover the entire pool - and that is where my feathered friend is perching and pooping. Thankfully it is just one or two - for now anyway.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I have the same problem only not with one or two. I have grackles nesting around my property & they clean out their nests in my pool & on the deck area. I see them carrying the Crud in their mouths & drop it. They've even done the same with dead babies. How gross! As soon as the babies are grown & out of the nest it seems to stop, or slow down for the year. If I see them coming, I clap my hands & yell, but sometimes that doesn't do any good either. I think they are fearless.

Dogs are good for that to some extent. I know that mine is. She chases them with all she's got.

guamguy does have a solution, although that takes patience and good aim. Of course, maybe guamguy could send you one of those brown tree snakes from over there in Guam. You could put it on a leash back there and that would take care of any birds. :mrgreen:

I had the same problem a few years ago. I read that you can string fishing line above the pool and the birds will not fly into the area. Something about their vision results in them seeing multiple ‘rows’ of fishing line, and fearing getting trapped in it. I ran one line lengthwise, another widthwise, about 10’ above the pool.

Once the line was in place I never had another problem. Left it up a couple seasons, then took it down and haven’t had a problem since. Makes a great conversation piece, too! :)

poolgirl22 said:
Just a little tip...don't aim for the bird ON the surface of the water...K? :lol: :lol:

Yeh, I used to have a spring ritual while they were nesting, of sitting outside with the bb gun. Lotsa fun, only with my combined bad aim, & the inconsistant pattern from the gun (even had a scope on it), it mainly just scared the robins, mourning doves, finches & hummers out of my yard & the grackles remained. I was sitting on the pool deck the other night ready to take aim at the grackle sitting on the ledge of the pool... then it hit me.. I'd have a better chance of putting a hole in the liner than hitting the **** bird, haha.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
257WbyMag said:
Dogs are good for that to some extent. I know that mine is. She chases them with all she's got.

guamguy does have a solution, although that takes patience and good aim. Of course, maybe guamguy could send you one of those brown tree snakes from over there in Guam. You could put it on a leash back there and that would take care of any birds. :mrgreen:

HA HA HA. Gotta love the brown tree snake :evil: Those things cause a bunch of power outages around here. They think it's a good idea to climb power poles and get zapped on the wires :shock: We are, however, experiencing a welcome increase in the bird population in the past few years. I just wish the snakes would eat the $@!# cane toads :twisted:

guamguy said:
HA HA HA. Gotta love the brown tree snake :evil: Those things cause a bunch of power outages around here. They think it's a good idea to climb power poles and get zapped on the wires :shock: We are, however, experiencing a welcome increase in the bird population in the past few years. I just wish the snakes would eat the $@!# cane toads :twisted:

I saw one climbing up the side of a cinder block house on base one night when we lived in Guam.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.