Big thanks and a question after drain and fill.

mepot101

May 25, 2019
Orlando, Fl
I want to thank TFP for the helping me understand what the heck is going on with my pool.
Amazing what some good info does to your confidence level.

I just completed a 10000 gal drain and fill. Before and after numbers look like this .
Before
FC 7.5
CC0.5
PH 7.8
TA 120
CH 475 !
CYA over 150, tested with 2 different kits.
Had constant algae, FC issues.

Today the pool is filled back up.
FC 4.0 I added some during the fill process.
CC 0.2 or less
PH 7.8
TA 130
CH 150
CYA 35 ! I'll call it 35, maybe to 40.

Question, should I do a slam now, using 10% liquid, and worry about the CH and TA after?
Trying to figure out the best way to approach my new water. My water coming into the house measured 110 CH, from the street.

Thanks again,
Mike

mepot101

May 25, 2019
Orlando, Fl
Yea, I found that, was just wondering if I should just go to leslies and get it, or if there was any alternatives. Not much de-icer sold here in Orlando,Fl.:p

Divin Dave

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 2, 2013
Longview, Texas
Hi mepot,
its not a requirement to raise the CH before to slamming. It will have no effect on the SLAM one way or the other.

You can get Calcium increaser at any place that sells pool supplies. Any brand will do.

mepot101

May 25, 2019
Orlando, Fl
The water looks great, but I don't know if I can figure out how to post a picture, I'm not too good with computers. Going to start the slam, head to the pool store next.
Thanks. The pic of the empty pool is daunting, took all night to re-fill.

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
The water looks great
So with CC's well within acceptable range and clear water, I don't see the need to SLAM. I would think you will be fine holding your FC around 4 ppm and then go swimming!!

Are you going to manually chlorinate this pool?

mepot101

May 25, 2019
Orlando, Fl
Yes, I am going to manually chlorinate. I got a supply at Home Depot dated 19 133.

I see no algae now, just filled the pool last night, been checking it all day.
While the pool was draining, I went around with a squirt bottle with bleach and cleaned all the green spots I could see, mainly in the tile surround grout.

Added ch earlier, per Poolmath, brought the ph down with muriatic acid, and the FC level is 11 now.
Should I try a OCLT test tonight, or wait till tomorrow?

Also , subscribed to poolmath , now that I am figuring how to use it, seems pretty easy to understand. The lady at the pool store isn't too happy that I am not using pucks, she says I NEED them, maybe not.

Reactions: borjis

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
The lady at the pool store isn't too happy that I am not using pucks, she says I NEED them, maybe not.
Well, you certainly don't NEED them. As always, stay away from the pool store, trust your own testing and manage your pool water per TFP methods